Netanyahu to hold talks with Mubarak in Egypt TuesdayDecember 27th, 2009 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, Dec 27 (DPA) Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is to travel to Egypt Tuesday for talks with President Hosni Mubarak.
Netanyahu announced the trip in his weekly cabinet briefing in Jerusalem Sunday, saying the talks were at his request.
“We have an interest in moving the peace process forward in various ways,” he said. He intends to continue the “important dialogue” with Egypt, Netanyahu added.
Egypt’s intelligence chief Omar Suleiman visited Israel for talks last week. Egypt and Germany are mediating a prisoner exchange deal between Israel and the radical Islamist Palestinian group Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip.
Netanyahu said there was still no agreement between the two sides. Israel Radio reported that the premier said he did not know whether an agreement would be reached.
Trade Minister Benjamin Ben-Eliezer would accompany the premier to Cairo.
Hamas has yet to respond officially to Israel’s latest proposal for a possible deal that was presented by German mediators in Gaza late last week.
Hamas is demanding the release of around 1,000 Palestinian prisoners from Israeli jails in exchange for Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit who was captured by militants in mid-2006.
Israel has indicated it wants a tenth of the prisoners it is being asked to release to be sent to the Gaza Strip or abroad rather than return home to the West Bank.
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap deal to start Tuesday - Oct 15, 2011
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Israel inner cabinet meets to discuss prisoner swap deal - Dec 21, 2009
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Israelis react cautiously to ally Mubarak's exit - Feb 12, 2011
- Israel to free 550 prisoners in swap deal - Dec 15, 2011
- Israel considers referendum on peace deal with Palestinians - Sep 22, 2010
- Israel frees 19 Palestinian prisoners in proof-of-life deal - Oct 02, 2009
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Israel-Palestine direct talks end in Egypt - Sep 14, 2010
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Israeli defence minister, Mubarak meet in Egypt - Jan 27, 2010
- To avoid abduction, Israeli troops to carry tear gas - Nov 24, 2011
Tags: ben eliezer, benjamin netanyahu, exchange deal, gaza strip, hosni mubarak, intelligence chief, israel radio, israeli jails, israeli soldier, mediators, minister benjamin netanyahu, omar suleiman, palestinian group hamas, palestinian prisoners, peace process, president hosni mubarak, prime minister benjamin, prisoner exchange, shalit, trade minister