Netanyahu calls for early polls in IsraelMay 7th, 2012 - 9:29 am ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, May 7 (IANS) Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has called for an early general election in four months’ time, BBC reported.
The vote is expected to take place in September, a year before Netanyahu is required by law to seek a new mandate.
Netanyahu leads a centre-right coalition which includes his own Likud, and the Labour party of Ehud Barak. He has been prime minister since 2009.
According to opinion polls, Netanyahu is the most popular politician in Israel.
The prime minister told a meeting of party workers in Tel Aviv that he did not want “a year and a half of political instability accompanied by blackmail and populism”.
After listing the accomplishments of his government, he said he would like to lead a broadly based coalition after the election.
According to the BBC, the timing of the decision may be partly due to a recent souring of relations with a junior coalition partner, Nationalist Israel Beiteinu party, over plans to require ultra religious Jews to do army service.
It could also be a move to strengthen his own position if Barack Obama wins another term as US president later this year.
The two leaders disagree on Israel’s relations with Palestine. Many Israelis are concerned that Obama might pressure both sides to restart talks, having failed to do so in his first term.
- Majority of Israelis oppose unilateral Iran strike: Poll - Mar 08, 2012
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Israel okays West Bank housing ahead of Biden visit - Mar 08, 2010
- Israeli PM seeks world to set 'red line' for Iran - Sep 03, 2012
- Israel closely monitoring Syrian violence - Jul 19, 2012
- Netanyahu leaves for US for peace talks relaunch - Aug 31, 2010
- 'Peace accord with Palestinians more urgent for Israel than Iran attack' - Sep 11, 2012
- Israel's Premier Netanyahu signs deal with fifth coalition partner - Apr 01, 2009
- Israel leaders misleading public on Iran: Ex-security chief - Apr 28, 2012
- Iran rejects Israeli accusations over Bulgaria blast - Jul 19, 2012
- Israeli PM's father passes away - Apr 30, 2012
- Israeli defence minister heads to US to discuss Iran - Feb 27, 2012
- Israel lauds its anti-rocket system - Mar 12, 2012
- Former Israeli president found guilty of rape - Dec 30, 2010
- US funding for Israeli air defence - May 18, 2012
Tags: army service, barack obama, benjamin netanyahu, blackmail, coalition partner, ehud barak, four months, israel beiteinu, israel jerusalem, israeli prime minister, israelis, labour party, likud, minister benjamin netanyahu, nationalist, opinion polls, political instability, populism, prime minister benjamin, religious jews