Nepali Congress seeks action against former crown princeDecember 13th, 2010 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
By Sudeshna Sarkar
Kathmandu, Dec 13 (IANS) The Nepali Congress, the largest party in Nepal’s ruling alliance Monday, Monday condemned the brawl and shooting in an upscale wildlife resort involving controversial former crown prince Paras Bir Bikram Shah and a kin of the party’s senior minister, urging the government to take stern measures.Nepali Congress president Sushil Koirala in a statement Monday said he was amazed that the caretaker government of Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal had failed to initiate any action more than two days after Paras hit the headlines for letting his gun fly off during a weekend altercation.
Koirala said the guilty should be punished to prevent recurrence of such incidents in future.
The political condemnation came after the 39-year-old former heir to Nepal’s throne admitted he had fired a bullet at the plush Tiger Tops wildlife resort in southern Nepal’s Chitwan district following a dispute with Rubel Chowdhury, a Bangladeshi national married to Melina, daughter of Nepali Congress leader and Deputy Prime Minister Sujata Koirala.
Sushil Koirala is Sujata Koirala’s brother and Melanie’s grand-uncle.
Paras admitted he had fired in the air but blamed it on Chowdhury and his Indian companion, who, he claimed, had provoked him by insulting him, his family and his country.
Nepal’s official media said the former royal, known for his fondness for visiting discotheques and driving fast cars, was intoxicated when the incident occurred.
Nepal’s police said a four-member team has been sent to the resort Monday to inquire into the incident.
- Nepal's ex-crown prince arrested, charged with bid to kill (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Ousted Nepal crown prince in police custody after gun brawl (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Nepal's ruling party seeks ex-crown prince's arrest after gun brawl (Second Lead) - Dec 13, 2010
- Nepal's ex-crown prince released on bail, gets hero's welcome (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- Nepal's former crown prince ill in police custody (Second Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Royalists call shutdowns in Nepal over ex-crown prince's arrest - Dec 15, 2010
- Nepal begins probe into ex-crown prince's gun brawl (Lead) - Dec 13, 2010
- Ordeal over, Paras returns home a hero (Lead) - Dec 17, 2010
- Nepal's ex-crown prince pleads illness, calls off press meet - Dec 17, 2010
- Nepal's ex-crown prince released on bail - Dec 16, 2010
- Nepal to probe ex-crown prince's gun brawl (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Nepal to probe former crown prince's gun brawl - Dec 14, 2010
- Nepal ex-crown prince's gun brawl case gets a sequel - Dec 23, 2010
- I'm victim of political vendetta: Nepal's nabbed ex-crown prince - Dec 15, 2010
- Ousted Nepal crown prince in gun brawl with minister's kin - Dec 13, 2010
Tags: caretaker government, chitwan district, chowdhury, congress leader, congress president, crown prince paras, deputy prime minister, fast cars, indian companion, madhav, monday monday, nepali congress, plush tiger, senior minister, southern nepal, sudeshna sarkar, sujata koirala, tiger tops, weekend altercation, wildlife resort