Nepal PM to revisit China May 2: reportApril 22nd, 2009 - 3:03 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, April 22 (IANS) Nepal’s first Maoist Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal Prachanda, who kicked up a controversy last year when he chose to visit China before India, is scheduled to make his second visit to Beijing from May 2, a report said Wednesday.
During his eight-day visit, Prachanda will inspect the controversial Three Gorges Dam project that is expected to generate 22,500 MW by 2011 and the industrial area in Shanghai, the Kantipur daily reported.
It was not known immediately if the Nepal PM would also ink a new peace and friendship treaty that Beijing is keen to sign with its southern neighbour.
Though a visiting Chinese delegation has handed over a draft of the proposed treaty, it has not been discussed by the Maoists with their coalition allies and the main opposition party, the Nepali Congress.
Any unanimous decision is bound to trigger further friction among the major parties who are already engaged in an acerbic battle over the firing of the army chief just four months before he is due to retire.
Ahead of Prachanda’s visit, China has stepped up its aid to the Himalayan nation, increasing its annual development assistance to 150 million yuan (over $21 million) from the earlier 100 million yuan (about $14 million).
Nepal is seeking further Chinese investment in its infrastructure, hospitality and hydropower sectors and has been urging Beijing to extend its Tibet railway line to the Nepal border.
China on the other hand seeks Nepal’s all-out support to muzzle anti-China protests by Tibetan dissenters.
There was no immediate official corroboration of the visit dates.
- Nepal Maoists defend disputed Buddha birthplace deal - Aug 10, 2011
- Nepal seeks strong economic ties with China (Second Lead) - Dec 26, 2009
- India accused of spoiling Maoist chances in Nepal - Sep 12, 2010
- Nepal PM arrives in China, seeks to boost economic ties (Lead) - Dec 26, 2009
- Chinese vice-premier begins Nepal visit amid bribe scandal - Sep 11, 2010
- Nepal PM begins China visit - Dec 26, 2009
- China rains aid ahead of Nepal PM's visit - Apr 19, 2009
- China surges ahead with economic diplomacy in Nepal - Aug 18, 2011
- Nepal Maoist chief to visit China again - Sep 27, 2010
- China says it's not at loggerheads with India (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Oct 20, 2009
- China pressures Nepal to disrupt Tibetan polls - Oct 04, 2010
- Palace aide's memoir bares China skeletons in Nepal cupboard (With images) - Jan 12, 2011
- Nepal, China hope to sign new peace pact this year - Feb 26, 2009
- Concern in Nepal as China tries to 'develop' Buddha legacy - Jul 28, 2011
- Nepal's Maoist chief leaves for China - Oct 22, 2010
Tags: army chief, china protests, chinese delegation, chinese investment, corroboration, dahal, dam project, friendship treaty, gorges dam, hydropower, kantipur daily, main opposition party, maoist, maoists, nepali congress, prachanda, pushpa, railway line, three gorges, tibet railway