Need effective, not powerful leaders: ChavanDecember 3rd, 2011 - 7:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 3 (IANS) Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan Saturday said “effective leaders” were needed more than “powerful leaders” today as people are “well-informed and demand good governance”.
“I think we need effective leaders today rather than powerful leaders as people are well-informed and demand good governance,” Chavan said at the Hindustan Times Leadership Summit here while speaking on ‘Personality Power: How it makes for Good Governance’.
He said another test of an effective leader was an ability to “build consensus” on various issues as the polity was “fractured” today.
A fractured polity, said Chavan, also leads to populist decisions and vote bank politics, “giving a go by to larger public interest”.
Stating that people will not tolerate injustice as they are better informed, the Maharashtra chief minister said an effective leader needs to be a good communicator, understand media, have a grasp of national and international issues and must be aware of the rural-urban divide.
Talking about the challenges faced by the state government like agriculture and reforming the real estate sector in capital Mumbai, he said there was scarcity of land, water, sand and forests.
“I need land if we want to build a new airport in Navi Mumbai,” said Chavan.
Mentioning law and order as another challenge of governance, he said Mumbai attracts terrorists like Delhi. He said divisive politics too impact law and order.
- Need to reform institutions in tune with times: President - Oct 18, 2011
- Maharashtra to probe housing quota misuse - Apr 04, 2012
- Chavan grabbed over six flats in Adarsh: BJP secretary - Apr 25, 2012
- Adarsh Society scam: Maharashtra CM to meet Sonia Gandhi today - Oct 30, 2010
- Corrupt officials will not be spared, asserts Chavan - Feb 18, 2011
- Not under any pressure, asserts Chavan - Jul 26, 2012
- Adarsh Society: Tenor of order malafide, says lawyer Maneshinde - Jan 16, 2011
- Maharashtra in an era of exciting industrial growth: Chavan - Jan 10, 2012
- Demolish Adarsh building in three months: Jairam Ramesh (Roundup) - Jan 16, 2011
- Prithviraj Chavan bats for Jaitapur nuclear power project - Mar 21, 2011
- Maharashtra government set to face opposition ire - Jul 08, 2012
- Adarsh society plot belongs to government, says judicial panel (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Under flak, Chavan meets Sonia, PM - Apr 21, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Society members challenge MOEF demolition order - Feb 15, 2011
- Inadequate rains, scarcity, worry Maharashtra legislators - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: chief minister, consensus, effective leader, forests, good communicator, good governance, grasp, hindustan times, injustice, land water, law and order, leadership summit, New Delhi, polity, public interest, real estate sector, scarcity of land, state government, urban divide, vote bank