Nearly two mn dead people on US voting rollsFebruary 15th, 2012 - 12:20 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Feb 15 (IANS/EFE) Nearly two million dead people are still registered to vote this coming November, while another 24 million US voter registrations contain mistakes or imprecise data, the Pew Center on the States says in a new report.
The study, carried out for Pew by RTI International, discusses various problems in the voter registration system and emphasizes the need to modernize it to correct problems and save taxpayers’ money.
At least 51 million citizens fulfill the requirements to vote but have not registered, while one in every eight voter registrations “are no longer valid or have significant inaccuracies”, the report says.
Approximately 2.75 million people are registered to vote in more than one state and some 12 million registrations have incorrect addresses, whether because the voters moved or because it is impossible to locate them by mail to correct the voter records.
“Voter registration is the gateway to participating in our democracy, but these antiquated, paper-based systems are plagued with errors and inefficiencies,” David Becker, director of Election Initiatives at the Pew Center on the States, said in a statement.
“These problems waste taxpayer dollars, undermine voter confidence, and fuel partisan disputes over the integrity of our elections,” he said.
The report says that in 2008, state and local authorities in Oregon spent $4.11 per voter to process registrations.
By contrast, Canada, which uses up-to-date technology common in the private sector, spends less than 35 cents per voter.
- Only 31 percent Latinos, Asians voted in 2010 US midterm elections: Report - Apr 27, 2011
- Unemployment rises in Spain - Apr 04, 2012
- US fiscal trajectory unsustainable, says US official - Feb 03, 2012
- US birth rates decline amid recession - Oct 14, 2011
- US lawyers' group warns of accumulated student loan debt - Mar 14, 2012
- Poll gives Obama low marks for handling of economy - Apr 08, 2011
- 60 mn below poverty line in Mexico by yearend - Sep 06, 2012
- UN to hear dispute over ownership of Machu Picchu - Sep 09, 2011
- 45 percent voting in Mumbai civic polls (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Fiji to launch drive for voter registration - Jun 15, 2012
- Obama most popular candidate for 2012 election: Survey - Mar 24, 2011
- `Cuba's water treatment system needs to be fixed' - Jul 21, 2012
- Nearly five in ten American voters want Obama to run for president again - Oct 27, 2010
- Making Bangalore's graduates vote (Karnataka Newsletter) - Apr 29, 2012
- Seven-language campaign to educate South Asian voters in US - Sep 10, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,