NDA yet to decide on presidential candidate: Sharad YadavJune 13th, 2012 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 13 (IANS) Opposition National Democratic Alliance (NDA) convenor Sharad Yadav Wednesday said they had “good relations” with Pranab Mukherjee, but remained non-committal on the finance minister’s candidature for the president’s post.
“The ruling alliance always proposes the candidate. NDA will decide after that if we have to go another way. Why should we fire in air,” Yadav said here to media persons.
Asked if the Bharatiya Janata Party-led NDA will support Mukherjee, he said: “Did they declare Pranab babu’s name? We have good relations with Pranab-ji. But has his name been proposed?. When official proposal comes, we will decide.”
Although, Pranab Mukherjee is by all indications the front-runner, some dark horse could well emerge out of the political confabulations, depending on the bargaining power of each party.
The Janata Dal-United (JD-U) chief also said the NDA had not zeroed in on Jaswant Singh as its vice-presidential candidate.
Singh’s name popped up for the post Tuesday after he met Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav.
“People meet each other. We have not decided for any name in any meeting of NDA. Only Jaswant Singh can tell whom did he meet and why did he meet. It is normal. We keep meeting,” he added.
- BJP wants Congress to react, NDA meet unlikely before Saturday (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- NDA decision unlikely before Saturday, cards close to chest - Jun 13, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- Jaswant Singh as NDA's vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Jaswant Singh is NDA's vice presidential candidate (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Jaswant Singh is NDA choice for vice president (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2012
- NDA names Jaswant as vice presidential candidate - Jul 16, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- BJP to discuss vice presidential poll - Jul 14, 2012
- BJP for vice presidential contest, to seek NDA nod (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- BJP to discuss vice presidential poll with NDA allies - Jul 10, 2012
- NDA defers decision on presidential polls (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Nitish meets Jaswant, pledges support - Jul 26, 2012
- Presidential fight finalised, focus shifts on Ansari's successor - Jun 23, 2012
- BJP, allies will pitch vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: bargaining power, bharatiya janata party, candidature, committal, confabulations, convenor, dark horse, finance minister, jaswant singh, jd, ji, media persons, national democratic alliance, New Delhi, opposition, party chief, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, proposal, sharad yadav