NDA to hold show of strength in Punjab SundayMay 5th, 2009 - 11:16 pm ICT by IANS
Ludhiana, May 5 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) is all set to put up a big show of strength with its allies at a political rally to be held in this industrial city of Punjab Sunday (May 10).
Top BJP leaders, including its prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani, chief ministers of BJP ruled states including Gujarat’s Narendra Modi and leaders of NDA allies, are expected to be at the rally, hosted by the Akali Dal, the BJP’s alliance partner in the state.
BJP leaders are eagerly looking forward to all NDA allies, including Bihar Chief Minister and Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader Nitish Kumar, Indian National Lok Dal’s (INLD) Om Prakash Chautala and others, participating in the rally here.
The NDA rally will be in favour of the Akali Dal candidate from here, G.S.Galib. Incidentally, Galib was a Congressman for nearly five decades before shifting his loyalty to the ruling Akali Dal in Punjab.
BJP sources here said the rally was being seen by the NDA as an event to showcase NDA unity before the fifth and last phase of polling in the country on May 13.
In recent days, the Congress has been making overtures to Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar for a possible post-poll alliance. If Kumar comes here for the rally, he would have stitched his alliance with the NDA more firmly.
- Allies, chief ministers line up for NDA rally - May 10, 2009
- JD-U is with Jaswant Singh: Nitish - Jul 16, 2012
- All eyes on Nitish Kumar at NDA's Sunday rally in Ludhiana - May 09, 2009
- INLD starts Haryana poll campaign with big rally - Sep 25, 2009
- Nitish attacks Modi as Shiv Sena backs Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Jaswant Singh is NDA's vice presidential candidate (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Punjab politics takes a backseat in NDA show of strength - May 10, 2009
- Nobody has right to give fatwa on secularism: BJP - Jun 20, 2012
- Advani, Badal head in different directions in Haryana - Oct 05, 2009
- BJP to discuss vice presidential poll with NDA allies - Jul 10, 2012
- Bihar leaders in war of words over PM candidate - Jun 19, 2012
- Advani's Jan Chetna yatra concludes Sunday at Ramlila Maidan - Nov 19, 2011
- NDA meet on presidential candidate begins in Delhi - Jun 17, 2012
- NDA defers decision on presidential polls (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- BJP tries to bridge gaps on presidential contest (Lead) - May 02, 2012
Tags: akali dal, alliance partner, bharatiya janata party, bjp leaders, chautala, chief minister, chief ministers, inld, l k advani, ludhiana, narendra modi, national democratic alliance, nda allies, nitish kumar, om prakash, political rally, poll alliance, post poll, prime ministerial candidate, show of strength