NDA to finalise vice presidential nominee MondayJuly 15th, 2012 - 11:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 15 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party-led National Democratic Alliance will finalise its vice presidential nominee Monday amid Najma Heptulla’s name doing the rounds, party leaders said.
The BJP will consult its allies at a meeting in the capital even as the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA) has already decided to re-nominate incumbent Hamid Ansari for the post.
BJP leaders said that the meeting of NDA allies have been scheduled Monday following which the combine will announce its candidate.
“We have decided to contest the vice presidential election. We will announce our candidate after due deliberations and consulting our allies,” said BJP general secretary Ananth Kumar.
With the BJP deciding to fight the poll, Ansari, won’t get a walkover and a contest is imminent.
BJP sources said that the party was considering the Janata Dal-United president and NDA convenor Sharad Yadav and BJP leader Najma Heptullah.
Heptullah unsuccessfully contested for the post against Ansari in 2007.
Sharad Yadav is unlikely to contest as his party has already indicated that it may support Ansari.
The JD-U and another NDA ally, Shiv Sena, broke ranks with the BJP to support UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee for the July 19 presidential poll. However, the Shiv Sena has indicated it will back the NDA candidate for vice president.
The Trinamool Congress, which is on a rough patch with the Congress, has suggested the names of former West Bengal governor Gopal Krishna Gandhi and freedom fighter Subhash Chandra Bose’s niece and former Lok Sabha member Krishna Bose.
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- Jaswant Singh as NDA's vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- BJP for vice presidential contest, to seek NDA nod (Second Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Vice president poll: UPA renominates Ansari, BJP bracing for contest (Roundup) - Jul 15, 2012
- Jaswant Singh is NDA's vice presidential candidate (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- BJP to discuss vice presidential poll - Jul 14, 2012
- BJP for vice presidential contest, to seek NDA nod (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Jaswant Singh is NDA choice for vice president (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2012
- NDA defers decision on presidential polls (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- BJP tries to bridge gaps on presidential contest (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Shiv Sena to back NDA's vice-presidential nominee - Jul 15, 2012
- NDA reviews vice presidential poll strategy - Jul 24, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- BJP, allies will pitch vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- NDA to wait and watch: Advani (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, bjp leaders, freedom fighter, gopal krishna, hamid ansari, lok sabha member, najma heptulla, najma heptullah, national democratic alliance, nda allies, pranab mukherjee, presidential poll, progressive alliance, rough patch, sharad yadav, subhash chandra bose, trinamool congress, walkover, west bengal