NDA to discuss Mukherjee’s candidature: BJPJune 15th, 2012 - 9:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 15 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Friday said it will decide on Pranab Mukherjee’s candidature for president’s post after a meeting with its National Democratic Alliance (NDA) allies.
Talking to reporters soon after Congress president Sonia Gandhi announced Mukherjee’s candidature, BJP spokesperson Syed Shahnawaz Hussain said the Congress should have tried to build a consensus earlier.
“The NDA will meet and decide on this,” Hussain told reporters.
He, however, did not say when the meeting would be held.
“The prime minister called BJP leaders… they (the Congress) should have made attempts to build consensus earlier,” he said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Friday evening called the Leaders of Opposition in the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha, Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitley, respectively, as well as senior BJP leader L.K. Advani to seek support for Mukherjee’s candidature.
- Support grows for Pranab's candidature (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Presidential polls: BJP woos Jayalalithaa, NDA to meet Friday (Third Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- BJP core group to meet today, allies divided over presidency (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Speculation on Pranab's candidature grows after Bengal leader's pitch (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Decision on prime ministerial candidate at appropriate time: BJP - Sep 10, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- BJP to contest presidential poll, undecided on candidate (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- BJP, AIADMK to coordinate on presidential poll: Advani (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Manmohan seeks support for Mukherjee - Jun 15, 2012
- Sangma files nomination, says it's victory of tribal unity - Jun 28, 2012
- BJP core group likely to meet today - Jun 16, 2012
- Advani, Jayalalithaa to 'coordinate' on presidential polls (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Presidential poll: Rift in NDA, Left may support Congress (Third Lead) - May 01, 2012
- BJP to contest presidential poll, undecided on candidate - Jun 19, 2012
- We don't have illegal accounts abroad, declare BJP MPs - Dec 09, 2011
Tags: arun, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, candidature, congress president sonia gandhi, consensus, friday evening, hussain, l k advani, Lok Sabha, manmohan, manmohan singh, national democratic alliance, New Delhi, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, spokesperson, sushma swaraj