NDA plans stir in parliament complex against CoalgateSeptember 6th, 2012 - 6:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 6 (IANS) The BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) will hold a protest demonstration in the Parliament House complex Friday, the last day of the monsoon session, against the ruling UPA’s reluctance to accede to the opposition demand for cancellation of coal blocks allocations and for an impartial probe in the alleged corruption in the allotments.
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) spokesperson Prakash Javadekar told reporters here Thursday that MPs belonging to the entire NDA, including the Janata Dal United, the Shiromani Akali Dal, and the Shiv Sena, will hold the demonstration an hour ahead of the last day’s sitting of both the houses of parliament.
“All NDA MPs will participate in a demonstration in the parliament complex to protest the government’s refusal to accept the legitimate demand for an impartial probe and cancellation of all allotment of coal blocks,” Javadekar said.
“As the government is not accepting the demands, so this protest,” he added.
The BJP disrupted parliament proceedings for the 12th day Thursday, demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for the discretionary allocations of coal blocks between 2004 to 2009 when he was in charge of the coal ministry. This resulted in both the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha being adjourned without transacting much business.
The BJP stir inside parliament was triggered by a report of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) on the coal blocks allocations that slammed the government for not auctioning the coal blocks and thereby causing a presumptive loss of Rs.1.86 lakh crore ($37 billion) to the union exchequer.
However, the BJP’s allies have been calling for a debate in the house on the issue, after a statement issued by the prime minister last week ahead of his trip to Tehran to attend the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) summit.
- Parliament deadlock as BJP insists on PM's resignation (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Probe money trail in coal scam: BJP - Sep 06, 2012
- Parliament adjourned over 'quit PM' demand (Third Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Willing for debate on coal allocation after PM resigns: BJP - Sep 05, 2012
- NDA allies together on coal scam: Sharad Yadav - Aug 30, 2012
- SC judge should probe coal allotment, say SP and Left - Aug 30, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over coal block allocations (Roundup) - Sep 06, 2012
- Logjam continues, parliament adjourned (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- BJP to take coal blocks issue to people - Aug 28, 2012
- Political crisis as BJP insists on PM's resignation (Intro Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,