NDA meet on presidential candidate begins in DelhiJune 17th, 2012 - 1:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 17 (IANS) A meeting of the Bharatiya Janata Party-led National Democratic Alliance, the main opposition group in parliament, began here Sunday to decide upon supporting United Progressive Alliance’s presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee.
The meeting being held at senior BJP leader L.K. Advani’s residence is being attended by top leaders of the NDA allies including Janata Dal-United (JD(U)), Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD), Haryana Janhit Congress (HJC) party and the BJP.
The Congress-led UPA alliance had named Mukherjee as its candidate Friday for the July-19 presidential poll for which nomination can be filed till Jun 30.
The NDA may consider fielding its own candidate against Mukherjee. It could also consider the candidature of former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam proposed by Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, or former speaker P.A. Sangma, as suggested by All India ADMK chief J. Jayalalithaa and Biju Janata Dal chief Naveen Patnaik.
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Pranab all set for Rashtrapati Bhavan (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Pranab miles ahead as NDA squabbles (Roundup) - Jun 17, 2012
- President's poll: BJP core committee to meet Monday (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- GJM to go with Trinamool on presidential poll - Jun 28, 2012
- BJP backs Sangma for presidential election (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Consensus growing in favour of Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- BJP core group to meet today, allies divided over presidency (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Sangma meeets Mamata - Jun 26, 2012
- Congress slams BJP, asks others to revisit stand on Pranab - Jun 22, 2012
- Divided BJP discusses option of backing Sangma - Jun 17, 2012
- Presidential poll divides left, right, centre - Jul 10, 2012
- BJP to contest presidential poll, undecided on candidate (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Sangma appeals to NDA allies for support (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, bharatiya janata party, biju, bjp leader, candidature, former president, haryana, hjc, j jayalalithaa, l k advani, mamata banerjee, national democratic alliance, naveen patnaik, nda allies, opposition group, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, presidential poll, progressive alliance, trinamool congress chief