NDA declines comment on Pranab’s candidature for presidencyJune 15th, 2012 - 9:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 15 (IANS) National Democratic Alliance (NDA) convenor Sharad Yadav Friday declined to comment on the candidature of Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee as ruling UPA nominee for the next president.
Speaking to media persons after a scheduled NDA meeting was adjourned till Saturday, Sharad Yadav said the meeting was postponed so that the issue could be discussed further and a decision could be taken.
“We have postponed the meeting to take decision,” he said when asked for his response on Mukherjee’s candidature.
On the probable candidates that were discussed at the NDA meeting, he said: “No names were discussed.”
When pointed out that a Congress spokesperson had appealed to all political parties to support Mukherjee, Sharad Yadav said: “He is a spokesman of the largest political party of the ruling alliance and it was his job.”
He said personal equations and political dynamics were two different things and could not be viewed together or counterposed.
When told that Mukherjee had friends in all political parties, the Janata Dal (United) chief quipped, “so do I”. “Even I have friends in all political parties.”
- NDA yet to decide on presidential candidate: Sharad Yadav - Jun 13, 2012
- BJP, allies will pitch vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Support grows for Pranab's candidature (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- BJP to discuss vice presidential poll - Jul 14, 2012
- Pranab meets Bal Thackeray, thanks him for support - Jul 14, 2012
- BJP wants Congress to react, NDA meet unlikely before Saturday (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- NDA partners will decide on presidential issue: Sharad Yadav - Jun 15, 2012
- Consensus growing in favour of Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Supported Pranab as NDA did not gain from 2007 contest: Sharad Yadav (Interview) - Jun 23, 2012
- JD-U leader supports Mukherjee - Jun 16, 2012
- NDA to wait and watch: Advani (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- NDA decision unlikely before Saturday, cards close to chest - Jun 13, 2012
- BJP, JD-U not on same page over next president - May 01, 2012
- BJP core group to meet today, allies divided over presidency (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: candidature, congress, convenor, finance minister, janata, job, media persons, national democratic alliance, nda, New Delhi, political dynamics, political parties, pranab mukherjee, presidency, sharad yadav, spokesman, spokesperson, two different things