NCTC isn’t state versus centre issue: PMMay 5th, 2012 - 12:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) Defending the proposed National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday said the anti-terror intelligence hub will “supplement” the anti-terror capabilities of states and “not supplant” them.
“It is not the government’s intention to affect distribution of powers between states and the union (government),” Manmohan Singh told chief ministers at a meeting over the controversial NCTC, which is on hold following opposition by non-Congress ruled states.
“The setting up of NCTC is aimed to coordinate counter-terror efforts throughout this vast country… The NCTC will supplement the states’ anti-terror capabilities and not supplant them,” he said.
“It is not the state versus centre issue,” Singh said, in a bod to allay fears of some chief ministers, including West Bengal’s Mamata Banerjee and Gujarat’s Narendra Modi.
“The NCTC should be a vehicle of our combined efforts to eradicate terrorism. Terrorism is one of the threats to our national security. Neither the state nor the centre can fulfil this task alone,” the prime minister said in his address to the day-long meeting.
- PM pitches for NCTC amid opposition (Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Manmohan fails to woo dissenting CMs on NCTC (Roundup) - May 05, 2012
- Centre fails to convince dissenting CMs on NCTC (Intro Roundup) - May 05, 2012
- Crucial NCTC meet begins in Delhi - May 05, 2012
- Modi happy but still against NCTC - May 05, 2012
- PM to open chief ministers' meet on security April 16 - Apr 14, 2012
- Patnaik demands chief ministers' meeting over NCTC - Feb 29, 2012
- Government may amend NCTC order after stiff opposition (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- India to discuss security challenges with state governments - Apr 13, 2012
- CMs' meet to debate NCTC on May 5: Chidamabaram (Second Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Opposition CMs lambast government for security overreach (Roundup) - Apr 16, 2012
- Call meet of chief ministers on NCTC, Jayalalithaa urges PM - Mar 05, 2012
- PM writes to chief ministers on anti-terror hub - Feb 21, 2012
- LeT module busted in Delhi, Chidambaram pushes for NCTC (Second Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- LeT module busted in Delhi, Chidambaram pushes for NCTC (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: bod, capabilities, chief ministers, counter terrorism, fears, gujarat, hub, intention, mamata banerjee, manmohan, manmohan singh, narendra modi, national security, nctc, New Delhi, opposition, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, union government, west bengal