NCTC in present form unacceptable: PatnaikMay 5th, 2012 - 4:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik Saturday said the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) in its present form was not acceptable.
“I do appreciate there is a need for an organisation at the central level to tackle terrorism and left-wing extremism. However, the NCTC in its present form is simply not acceptable,” Patnaik said at a chief ministers meeting on the issue here.
He said the NCTC should not be part of a secret intelligence agency since the job of an intelligence agency was to collect intelligence.
“The NCTC should not be part of Intelligence Bureau. It can be with a separate agency like the National Investigation Agency,” he said.
He said there was a need for an organisation to fight the forces of terror and Maoists, which was the most serious threats to the country’s internal security.
“I urge upon the central government to take utmost care while setting up this body, lest it leads to a trust deficit between the centre and the states,” he added.
- What chief ministers said against NCTC - May 05, 2012
- Mamata joins chorus against Chidambaram's ant-terror hub (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Jayalalithaa attacks home ministry per se (Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Opposition CMs lambast government for security overreach (Roundup) - Apr 16, 2012
- PM writes to chief ministers on anti-terror hub - Feb 21, 2012
- PM assures CMs on anti-terror hub, creation to go ahead (Intro Roundup) - Feb 21, 2012
- Counter-terror body violates states' federal rights: Trinamool - Feb 17, 2012
- Manmohan fails to woo dissenting CMs on NCTC (Roundup) - May 05, 2012
- Manik Sarkar to attend chief ministers' meet - Apr 15, 2012
- Government wins first NCTC battle, defeats opposition amendments (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2012
- Centre fails to convince dissenting CMs on NCTC (Intro Roundup) - May 05, 2012
- LeT module busted in Delhi, Chidambaram pushes for NCTC (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- LeT module busted in Delhi, Chidambaram pushes for NCTC (Second Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Nitish, Patnaik again oppose NCTC, write to PM (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Counter terror body: Naveen Patnaik intensifies attack on government - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: central government, chief minister, chief ministers, counter terrorism, intelligence agency, intelligence bureau, internal security, investigation agency, job, left wing, maoists, national investigation, nctc, New Delhi, secret intelligence, terror, trust deficit, utmost care