NCP’s Orissa state chief resignsMarch 19th, 2009 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 19 (IANS) Orissa state unit chief ofthe Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) Bijoy Mohapatra Thursday announced his resignation, protesting his party’s decision to support Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
“Patnaik is a serial killer and he should be taught a lesson. Our national leadership’s decision to support his party and the government is unfortunate,” Mohapatra told reporters.
“I protest the decision and resign from the party. My battles against Patnaik will continue,” said Mohapatra, who was considered a trusted lieutenant of former chief minister Biju Patnaik. “It is a matter of principle,” he added.
Mohapatra had formed Orissa Gana Parishad (OGP) in 2001 after differences with Naveen Patnaik. His party merged with the NCP in 2007.
Mohapatra was angry after two legislators of the NCP supported the Patnaik government during a trust vote in the state assembly after the Bharatiya Janata Party pulled out of the alliance government.
Mohapatra said he was upset that the NCP leadership decided to support the Patnaik government without consulting him and even went ahead for a discussion on seat-sharing deal.
Mohapatra, however, declined to say if he would join any other party or will revive the OGP.
- Naveen Patnaik rules out supporting Congress - Mar 07, 2011
- Dissident leader upset but rules out split in BJD - May 30, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP - Jun 21, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik to meet BJD leaders Friday (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- NCP withdraws support to BJD in Orissa - Dec 29, 2010
- Meghalaya CM urges coalition partners not to support Sangma - Jul 06, 2012
- Patnaik holds talks to mend fences in BJD - Jun 01, 2012
- Meghalaya's UDP to support Sangma in presidential poll - Jul 02, 2012
- Sangma quits NCP, set to take on Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik suspends Mohapatra, drops two ministers - Jun 01, 2012
- Orissa police threaten strike over assault on colleague - Jan 24, 2011
- Central government neglecting Orissa: Naveen Patnaik - Aug 10, 2011
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik suspends Mohapatra, drops two ministers (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Patnaik returns home, gets rousing welcome - May 31, 2012
Tags: alliance government, bharatiya janata party, bhubaneswar, bijoy, chief minister, legislators, lieutenant, march 19, mohapatra, national leadership, nationalist congress party, ncp, ogp, orissa state, resignation, serial killer, state assembly, state chief, trust vote, unit chief