NCP workers protest against Anna’s remarkNovember 25th, 2011 - 4:00 pm ICT by IANS
Ralegan Siddhi (Maharashtra), Nov 25 (IANS) Hundreds of Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) workers staged a demonstration near social activist Anna Hazare’s residence here Friday to protest against his remarks over the attack on Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar.
The demonstrators shouted slogans and condemned Hazare for what they said were his “insensitive comments”.
More than 25 NCP workers were detained in Ralegan Siddhi Friday, following the protests. Hazare’s security was also beefed up owing to the protests. Four more commandos were deployed for the purpose.
After Pawar was slapped in New Delhi Thursday, Hazare, who has for long held politicians responsible for much of India’s ills, first said: “Was it only one slap?”
Once he realised the gravity of what had happened, he clarified: “He (the accused) could have been angry, but it is not right to hit someone. Our democracy does not allow such attacks.”
Later, Hazare offered to apologize.
He said he was addressing a group of people when he received a note about the attack on Pawar.
“After reading the note, I wanted to know if the attacker stopped after the slap or or was there some other kind of violence,” Hazare explained.
- Hazare offers to apologise to Sharad Pawar - Nov 25, 2011
- Ralegan Siddhi sarpanch to contest polls on NCP ticket - Jan 09, 2012
- Pawar slapped, attacker says 'they're all thieves' (Intro Roundup) - Nov 24, 2011
- Pawar attacker sent to 14-day judicial custody - Nov 25, 2011
- Pawar supporters protest across Maharashtra - Nov 24, 2011
- Pawar slap: Anna admits reaction violent, justifies attack - Dec 06, 2011
- Sharad slap unites Indian politicians - Nov 25, 2011
- No personal enmity with anyone: Sharad Pawar - Nov 24, 2011
- Pawar was invited too, but kept away: Hazare - Dec 13, 2011
- Anna set for fast, politicians hit back (Evening Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Hazare clarifies 'slap the corrupt' remark - Jan 27, 2012
- Hazare discharged from hospital, goes home - Jan 08, 2012
- Abuses, obstacles make me stronger: Hazare - Dec 16, 2011
- No-bath protest in Hazare's village - Aug 18, 2011
- Maharashtra politicians condemn Pawar attack - Nov 24, 2011
Tags: agriculture minister, anna hazare, attacker, commandos, democracy, demonstration, demonstrators, gravity, ills, insensitive comments, maharashtra, nationalist congress party, New Delhi, politicians, protests, sharad pawar, siddhi, slap, slogans, social activist