NCP tie-up with Left, BJD is Orissa-specific, says PawarApril 8th, 2009 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 8 (IANS) The Nationalist Congress Party alliance with the Left parties and the Biju Janata Dal (BJD) in Orissa is “only Orissa-specific”, NCP chief Sharad Pawar said here Wednesday.
“Our arrangement is only Orissa-specific,” Pawar told a press conference, addressed jointly with Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) politburo member Sitaram Yechury and BJD chief Naveen Patnaik.
Pawar said the NCP remains with the Congress-led United Progresssive Alliance (UPA) at the national level.
“We are not part of the Third Front,” he clarified.
The NCP’s tie-up with the BJD as well as the Left in Orissa has upset the Congress.
Pawar kept all options open for an alliance with the Third Front in a post-poll scenario.
“It is important that the secular forces come together (in Orissa). I don’t know what will happen tomorrow. We need secular parties to prevail,” he said.
Yechury said the electoral alliance in Orissa could not be called a Third Front. “It is not a Third Front. We are making it Orissa-specific,” he said.
Orissa Chief Minister Patnaik assure that the BJD would be with the “secular front” after the elections. “Certainly, the BJD will be with the secular front,” he said.
- NCP tie-up with Left, BJD is Orissa-specific: Pawar (Lead) - Apr 09, 2009
- Patience, says Congress, amid presidential suspense (Roundup) - May 04, 2012
- Third Front to make serious bid to form government: Karat - May 08, 2009
- NCP withdraws support to BJD in Orissa - Dec 29, 2010
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- India needs non-UPA, non-NDA front: Patnaik - Feb 15, 2012
- Patnaik crucial to forming Third Front government: Karat (Lead) - May 08, 2009
- Manmohan is not UPA's prime ministerial candidate: Pawar - Apr 14, 2009
- Naveen Patnaik rules out supporting Congress - Mar 07, 2011
- Punish all 2G scam culprits, demands CPI-M - Apr 15, 2011
- BJD refuses to join NDA rally - Dec 15, 2010
- BJD, AIADMK back Sangma for presidency (Intro Roundup) - May 17, 2012
- CPI-M upbeat for Third Front after BJP-BJD split (Lead) - Mar 08, 2009
- Mayawati silent on Sangma's bid at presidency - May 19, 2012
- BJP rules out poll pact with BJD - Oct 31, 2011
Tags: bhubaneswar, biju, bjd, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, electoral alliance, left parties, nationalist congress party, orissa, party alliance, politburo member, post poll, progresssive, secular forces, secular front, secular parties, sharad pawar, UPA