NCP names Phillip as Goa presidentJune 29th, 2010 - 8:19 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, June 29 (IANS) The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) has appointed Jose Phillip D’Souza as its Goa president, it was announced Tuesday.
Jose Phillip is now the cabinet minister for revenue and civil supplies portfolio in the Congress-led coalition government.
In recent years, the NCP has been in turmoil after the bitter exit of Wilfred de Souza, a former chief minister and the state president of the NCP for nearly a decade.
Jose Phillip and a few members of the executive had resigned from the party in June last year after accusing NCP chief Sharad Pawar of communalism and victimising Christian members.
Jose Phillip’s appointment comes at a time when the image of the NCP in Goa is in tatters after one of its senior members, Francisco alias Mickky Pacheco, was accused of culpable homicide after his 28-year-old lover was found dead in mysterious circumstances.
There are presently three NCP legislators in the 40-member Goa assembly.
- NCP legislators engage in public scrap - Oct 27, 2010
- 10 Congress dissidents threaten to topple Goa government - Dec 22, 2010
- Two NCP ministers quit Congress-led Goa government - Mar 14, 2011
- Goa NCP president booked for rioting, assault - Oct 27, 2010
- Goa NCP president resigns - Nov 07, 2010
- Surendra Sirsat appointed new Goa NCP chief - Nov 23, 2010
- Chavan had to go, how can Pacheco come, ask Goa Congress dissidents - Dec 23, 2010
- Goa Congress admits to crisis over Pacheco, can drop NCP (Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Congress rejects Pawar's demand for berth to Pacheco - Dec 27, 2010
- Goa legislator gets one year jail - Apr 27, 2011
- Goa PWD minister accused of corruption - Apr 18, 2011
- Goa gets new minister, Mickky key suspect in death - Jun 08, 2010
- CBI books Pacheco for forgery, cheating (Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- NCP legislator jailed six months for assault - Oct 05, 2011
- Pacheco granted bail in culpable homicide case - Jul 26, 2010
Tags: alias, cabinet minister, chief minister, christian members, coalition government, communalism, culpable homicide, de souza, goa assembly, june 29, legislators, mysterious circumstances, nationalist congress party, ncp, pacheco, panaji, sharad pawar, state president, tatters, turmoil