NCP criticises government’s poverty estimateSeptember 22nd, 2011 - 12:03 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 21 (IANS) The Nationalist Congress Party, a constituent of the United Progressive Alliance, Wednesday criticised the Planning Commission’s affidavit in the Supreme Court that “those earning up to Rs.32 per day were above the poverty line”.
“The Planning Commission affidavit shows total lack of sensitivity towards the poor and it has been fortunately rejected by a panel member Abhijit Sen,” said NCP general secretary D.P. Tripathi.
“Only meeting, lunch and rest seems to be the job of the Planning Commission,” he said referring to Hindi author Shrilal Shukla’s classic satire “Rag Darbari”.
The Congress was quick to rebut its ally’s contention, and said the plan panel played a crucial role in the nation’s development.
“We do not agree with it,” said Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi about the NCP’s criticism.
He said the commission constituted by first prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru has played a crucial role in the nation’s development since the country’s independence.
- Hindi litterateur Shrilal Shukla dead - Oct 28, 2011
- NCP sore, Congress says Rahul misquoted (Roundup) - Jan 12, 2011
- NCP supports decision to put FDI on hold - Dec 03, 2011
- Rahul misquoted: Congress - Jan 12, 2011
- Will accept Sangma's resignation:, says Pawar (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Sangma's daughter skips NCP meet - Jun 21, 2012
- High corruption taking place in Maharashtra too: NCP - Aug 26, 2011
- Pawar meets Sonia over presidential poll - Apr 25, 2012
- Congress, NCP stand-off ends with decision on better coordination (Intro-Roundup) - Jul 26, 2012
- UPA allies differ on bringing PM under Lokpal - Jun 18, 2011
- 8 candidates in fray for 6 Rajya Sabha seats from Maharashtra - Mar 19, 2012
- Congress renominates two ministers and Singhvi to Rajya Sabha - Mar 17, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP - Jun 21, 2012
- NCP skips cabinet meeting over 'problems' (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Maharashtra readies for Rajya Sabha race - Mar 05, 2012
Tags: abhijit, classic satire, commission affidavit, constituent, contention, criticised, general secretary, jawaharlal nehru, manu, nationalist congress party, ncp, New Delhi, panel member, planning commission, poverty line, prime minister jawaharlal, progressive alliance, rag darbari, shukla, spokesperson