NCP, Congress rift to the fore in GoaOctober 3rd, 2008 - 5:36 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Oct 3 (IANS) Rifts in Goa’s ruling coalition came to the fore Friday with Tourism Minister Francisco Pacheco of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) filing disqualification petitions against Congress’ Public Works Department Minister Churchill Alemao and legislator Reginaldo Lourenco.In a petition filed with the speaker’s office, Pacheco claimed that Lourenco and Alemao were elected to the assembly in May last year on a Save Goa Front (SGF) ticket, but had joined the Congress without merging the party into the Congress.
“The SGF continues to be a recognised political party. There is no extinction or winding up of the SGF, making it apparent that there was no merger of the SGF with the Indian National Congress and what was done by the respondents is only giving up the membership of the SGF voluntarily,” Pacheco stated in his petition seeking disqualification of the two.
The petition brings to fore the simmering tensions in the NCP and the Congress government which have cobbled a coalition government in Goa. State NCP president Wilfred de Souza has been raking up the issue of failing law and order situation in the state.
- Legislators in Goa's ruling alliance continue feud - Apr 04, 2009
- Goa minister calls colleague smuggler, wants him sacked - Feb 02, 2009
- 10 Congress dissidents threaten to topple Goa government - Dec 22, 2010
- Goa's ruling coalition criticises minister's move against colleague - Oct 04, 2008
- NCP Goa unit wants its minister sacked - Oct 06, 2008
- Goa skips siesta to vote, turnout over 80 percent (Night Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Chavan had to go, how can Pacheco come, ask Goa Congress dissidents - Dec 23, 2010
- BJP-MGP alliance routs Congress-NCP in Goa (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- BJP-MGP alliance win in Goa; to stake claim Wednesday (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- Three Goa ministers' kin among Congress nominees - Feb 07, 2012
- Goa Congress admits to crisis over Pacheco, can drop NCP (Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Congress rejects Pawar's demand for berth to Pacheco - Dec 27, 2010
- Congress minister in Goa terms state party leaders 'dishonest' - Apr 20, 2009
- Goa PWD minister accused of corruption - Apr 18, 2011
- NCP names Phillip as Goa president - Jun 29, 2010