NCP cautions Sangma, hints of actionJune 16th, 2012 - 4:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 16 (IANS) The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) Saturday said that it “unconditionally” supported Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee for the post of president, and not only cautioned but also hinted action against senior party leader P.A. Sangma for contesting the presidential poll.
“Let me make it very clear that Mr. Sangma does not enjoy support of the NCP. We wish that he does not contest. If he does, I cannot say anything now, he is a senior leader, but I don’t think he should defy the party’s direction or the line of thinking,” NCP leader Praful Patel told a news channel.
“The party’s direction and the line is to support Pranab Mukherjee unconditionally,” he added.
When asked whether action would be initiated against Sangma, a former Lok Sabha speaker, if he refused to toe the party line, Patel said he was “nobody to take action” but no one should defy the party line or direction.
Sangma Friday said he would contest the presidential election and had got support from many political parties, and refused to withdraw his candidature even if NCP chief Sharad Pawar asked him to. Sangma has been propped up by the AIADMK and Biju Janata Dal (BJD).
The United Progressive Alliance Friday named Mukherjee as its presidential candidate, tripping mercurial ally Mamata Banerjee and virtually ensuring his journey to Rashtrapati Bhavan in July.
- NCP cautions Sangma, says he will withdraw (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Sonia to host lunch for UPA, supporting parties before presidential poll - Jul 13, 2012
- Pranab all set for Rashtrapati Bhavan (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- My father has quit NCP, says Sangma's son - Jun 20, 2012
- Consensus growing in favour of Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Tribal Forum of India to float new party: Sangma - Jul 31, 2012
- Sangma will support Pranab: NCP - Jun 19, 2012
- Syndicate could turn tables on Pranab: Sangma (Interview) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sangma quits NCP, set to take on Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- Became a presidential candidate incidentally, says Sangma - May 26, 2012
- BJP backs Sangma for presidential election (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Will accept Sangma's resignation:, says Pawar (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Will accept Sangma's resignation: Pawar - Jun 20, 2012
- Pranab in UP Tuesday to canvass for presidential poll (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: aiadmk, ally, banerjee, candidature, finance minister, journey, Lok Sabha, nationalist congress party, New Delhi, party leader, political parties, praful patel, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, presidential election, presidential poll, progressive alliance, sharad pawar