NCP backs Manmohan Singh as prime ministerMarch 25th, 2009 - 4:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 25 (IANS) The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), a key member of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA), Wednesday declared its support for Manmohan Singh as the grouping’s prime ministerial candidate for the Lok Sabha polls.
“We have already supported his candidature. UPA’s candidate (prime minister) is Manmohan Singh,” party general secretary D.P. Tripathi told IANS.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi had said here Tuesday there could be many contenders for the post of prime minister, but nobody measured up to Manmohan Singh.
Congress and NCP have already announced a 26-22 seat-sharing agreement for Maharashtra.
Asked about the prime ministerial ambitions of NCP leader Sharad Pawar, Tripathi said: “No question about it.”
Pawar had said March 13 that Maharashtra should be given a chance to occupy the prime minister’s chair, like leaders from Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Karnataka.
Tripathi’s view is contrary to his colleague and senior leader in the party P.A. Sangma, who on Monday supported Pawar for the post of prime minister.
Sangma had told reporters in Shillong that Pawar was the most development-oriented leader and there was nothing wrong if he aspired to be prime minister.
Tripathi said the UPA should contest polls together.
- NCP cautions Sangma, says he will withdraw (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Sangma will support Pranab: NCP - Jun 19, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP - Jun 21, 2012
- I will contest presidential elections: Sangma - Jun 15, 2012
- Sangma's daughter skips NCP meet - Jun 21, 2012
- Will accept Sangma's resignation:, says Pawar (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Sonia to host lunch for UPA, supporting parties before presidential poll - Jul 13, 2012
- Presidential contest: NDA, Left divided over Pranab; BJP backs Sangma (Roundup) - Jun 21, 2012
- Pawar meets Sonia over presidential poll - Apr 25, 2012
- Unhappy Pawar, Patel offer to quit (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sangma quits NCP, set to take on Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- NCP cautions Sangma, hints of action - Jun 16, 2012
- BJD, AIADMK back Sangma for presidency (Intro Roundup) - May 17, 2012
- Congress tries hard to mollify NCP, Pawar unswayed (Intro Roundup) - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: ambitions, andhra pradesh, candidature, congress president sonia gandhi, contenders, general secretary, gujarat, karnataka, lok sabha polls, manmohan, manmohan singh, nationalist congress party, New Delhi, prime minister, prime ministerial candidate, progressive alliance, sharad pawar, shillong, tripathi, UPA