Navjot Sidhu seeks apology from Pranab, officialsJuly 3rd, 2008 - 9:47 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, July 3 (IANS) Member of Parliament Navjot Singh Sidhu Thursday asked Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee to seek an apology from External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee and initiate breach of privilege proceedings against officials for ignoring him during a function here last week. In a letter to the Lok Sabha speaker, Sidhu pointed out that the minister and the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) officials committed a blatant breach of protocol by not allowing him to address the minister or even join the minister and other dignitaries on the dais during the inauguration of a new regional passport office here.
The passport office was inaugurated Saturday by Mukherjee in the presence of Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal.
While Mukherjee, Badal and others sat on the dais, Sidhu was made to sit among the audience. He is the sitting Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) member of the Lok Sabha from Amritsar.
“The treatment meted out to me as a public representative and collective voice of over 1.5 million people of Amritsar Lok Sabha constituency is outrageously insulting and denigrating,” Sidhu said in his strongly worded complaint.
He lodged a strong protest against the conduct of ministry officials who, he claimed, lowered the stature of an MP by excluding him from discharging his role.
Sidhu demanded breach of privilege proceedings against the MEA officials and an unconditional apology from the minister.
The former cricketer turned MP said he had worked hard to get the passport office sanctioned for Amritsar.
- Navjot Sidhu complains against fake Facebook page - Jul 26, 2012
- Punjab gets 21 new chief parliamentary secretaries - Apr 10, 2012
- Record 21 chief parliamentary secretaries in Punjab - Apr 06, 2012
- Day after win, Badals pray at Golden Temple - Mar 07, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.250 crore (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.200 crore - Jan 12, 2012
- India all set for Queen's Baton Relay - Jun 24, 2010
- Navjot Sidhu moves privilege motion against Amritsar official - Nov 25, 2009
- Lok Sabha adjourned after opposition angers Pranab - May 10, 2012
- Prominent candidates in Punjab assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh threatens to sue Kejriwal - Apr 01, 2012
- Lok Sabha adjourned as Chidambaram denies corruption charge (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Over 77 percent voting in Punjab, one killed in violence (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2012
- Sukhbir Badal gets back job in father's government - Aug 10, 2009
Tags: apology, badal, bharatiya janata party, chief minister, collective voice, cricketer, dais, dignitaries, external affairs minister, Lok Sabha, member of parliament, ministry of external affairs, ministry officials, navjot singh sidhu, pranab mukherjee, public representative, regional passport office, sabha constituency, somnath, stature