Navjot Sidhu objects to his ‘poor’ rating by Punjab governmentJanuary 14th, 2009 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 14 (IANS) Cricketer turned politician Navjot Singh Sidhu Wednesday objected to the Punjab government because his performance as an MP from Amritsar has been rated as “poor” by the state’s planning department. He called the description “either a mistake or mischief” to tarnish his image.The report, prepared by the MP local area development scheme (MPLADS) section of the state government’s department of planning, deals with money spent by MPs on development works in their Lok Sabha constituencies in Punjab over five years.
In a communication to Punjab’s chief secretary Wednesday, Sidhu has sought details of the episode to know whether his “poor” rating was a mistake or a mischief to tarnish his image. He has said that he would take up the issue in the parliament.
“It is very sad and ironic that the letter…was actually showing a report card of the MP as judged by a joint director prior to the meeting. My performance of 100 percent has been belittled to zero,” an annoyed Sidhu said.
The Amritsar MP quoted from the letter of the Amritsar deputy commissioner to the secretary-planning stating that he (Sidhu) had spent Rs.95.6 million (Rs.9.56 crore) against the Rs.90 million released to him.
Sidhu said that he was one of the MPs who had utilised the maximum amount of MPLADS funds for his constituency. He sought that the “poor” remarks against his name be re-assessed.
“It seems that the whole exercise has been manipulated to malign my position in the eyes of my respected and esteemed electorates and also in the minds of my party hierarchy and cadre. I would like you to go into the details of this episode and find out whether it was a mistake or mischief to systematically tarnish my image through media. Action taken may be forwarded to me within a week’s time so that I can take up the matter in parliament,” Sidhu said in his letter.
- Notice to Bihar on new norms for MP's development funds - Feb 21, 2012
- Punjab government report 'fails' some MPs including Sidhu! - Jan 05, 2009
- Government relaxes MPs' fund norms - Jun 16, 2011
- Navjot Sidhu complains against fake Facebook page - Jul 26, 2012
- Centre backs Bihar's running of MPLADS schemes - Jul 13, 2012
- 'Missing' Navjot Sidhu finally returns to Amritsar - Oct 03, 2009
- Punjab lawmaker's sting catches doctor at wrong place - Aug 30, 2012
- MPLADS constitutionally valid, says Supreme Court - May 06, 2010
- MPs' constituency funds hiked to Rs.5 crore - Mar 11, 2011
- South Sudan seeks Indian help in parliamentary work (With images) - Jul 13, 2012
- Day after win, Badals pray at Golden Temple - Mar 07, 2012
- Navjot Sidhu moves privilege motion against Amritsar official - Nov 25, 2009
- In birthplace Amritsar, relatives remember Rajesh Khanna - Jul 18, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.250 crore (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.200 crore - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: 6 million, amritsar, chief secretary, constituency, cricketer, crore, deputy commissioner, development scheme, local area, lok sabha constituencies, mischief, mistake, mp, mps, parliament, party hierarchy, planning department, politician, rs 90, state government