Naveen Patnaik suspends Mohapatra, drops two ministersJune 1st, 2012 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 1 (IANS) Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik Friday suspended Rajya Sabha member Pyari Mohan Mohapatra and four others, including two ministers, from the ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) for anti-party activities.
Patnaik made the announcement at the state secretariat after holding discussions over several hours at his official residence with senior party leaders and legislators.
The others who were suspended from the party are women and child development minister Anjali Behera, minister of state for commerce and transport Sanjib Sahu, and legislators Bibhuti Balnantray and Prabhat Biswal.
Patnaik said he has written to state Governor M.C. Bhandare to drop the two ministers from the government. The chief minister, however, did not announce as to how many years they would be suspended from the party.
Patnaik’s move came two days after dissidence in the party came to the fore when Rajya Sabha MP Pyari Mohan Mohapatra Tuesday held meetings with a large number of legislators at his residence.
Mohapatra also openly criticised the functioning of the government and the party a day later.
Opponents saw the meeting as a move to destabilise Patnaik and have demanded action against him.
- Naveen Patnaik suspends Mohapatra, drops two ministers (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik to meet BJD leaders Friday (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Patnaik holds talks to mend fences in BJD - Jun 01, 2012
- Patnaik returns home, gets rousing welcome - May 31, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik rules out supporting Congress - Mar 07, 2011
- Dissident BJD leader's forum a parallel platform? - Oct 12, 2011
- Biju Janata Dal fields three for Rajya Sabha poll - Jun 04, 2010
- Patnaik reshuffles ministry, drops five (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Dissident leader upset but rules out split in BJD - May 30, 2012
- Vote for party's Rajya Sabha candidates, BJD tells legislators - Jun 13, 2010
- Naveen Patnaik to expand ministry - Aug 02, 2012
- Congress backs Orissa businessman for Rajya Sabha - Jun 07, 2010
- BJP to abstain from Rajya Sabha poll in Orissa - Jun 06, 2010
- Orissa votes to elect three Rajya Sabha members - Jun 17, 2010
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: biswal, bjd, chief minister, child development, development minister, dissidence, legislators, minister of state, mohan, mohapatra, naveen patnaik, opponents, party leaders, prabhat, rajya sabha member, sahu, sanjib, secretariat, state governor, state secretariat