Naveen Patnaik is Sangma’s proposer for president’s poll (Lead)June 26th, 2012 - 11:58 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 26 (IANS) Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik Tuesday emerged as the first proposer for former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma’s candidature for the July 19 presidential election.
Sangma’s son Conrad Sangma, who was here to secure support for his father, said Patnaik was the first to sign on the nomination paper for the elderly Sangma.
Conrad Sangma met Patnaik at Naveen Nivas, the official residence of the chief minister, and held discussions with him.
The junior Sangma later told reporters that about 100 lawmakers of the state’s ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD), including members of the state assembly, the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha, signed the paper. While 50 members, including the chief minister, signed as proposers, others put their signatures as seconders, he said.
Patnaik, last month, proposed the name of P.A. Sangma for the country’s top post after holding discussion with Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa.
Patnaik was the first to announce Sangma’s name. The BJD has 108 members in the state’s 147-member assembly, 14 members in the Lok Sabha and seven in the Rajya Sabha.
- Patnaik leaves for Delhi to back Sangma - Jun 27, 2012
- Presidential election: Sangma's son meets Patnaik - Jun 26, 2012
- Sangma to campaign in Odisha July 15 - Jul 06, 2012
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- BJD to abstain in vice-presidential poll - Aug 05, 2012
- Pranab in Odisha to seek support - Jul 11, 2012
- A tribal should occupy Raisina Hill: Naveen Patnaik - Jun 21, 2012
- Congress, BJD trade charges over presidential election - Jul 01, 2012
- BJD backs Sangma for president - May 17, 2012
- BJD to continue supporting Sangma for presidency - Jun 16, 2012
- Patnaik accuses Pranab of buying support - Jul 02, 2012
- Pranab hopeful of Mamata's support (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- BJD to continue supporting Sangma for presidency (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Jayalalithaa supports Sangma for president's post - May 17, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012