Naveen Patnaik among early voters in OrissaApril 23rd, 2009 - 6:02 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 23 (IANS) Orissa Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik was among the voters who exercised their franchise Thursday soon after polling began for the second and final phase of Lok Sabha and assembly elections, official said.
“Patnaik walked down from his house here, Naveen Nivas, to the polling booth about 100 metres away at about 7 a.m.,” police inspector P.K. Jena told IANS.
“He showed his voter ID card, like any other voter, and went inside and cast his vote,” he said.
“He probably was the first voter in that polling booth today,” he said adding that at that time there was only one other voter who had come to exercise his franchise there.
Patnaik’s Biju Janata Dal (BJD) is seeking yet another term in the assembly.
Orissa has more than 14.5 million voters, including about seven million women, in Orissa. There are 84 candidates for the 11 Lok Sabha seats and 688 contestants in 77 assembly constituencies in the final phase of elections in Orissa.
- BJD to abstain in vice-presidential poll - Aug 05, 2012
- Patnaik leaves for Delhi to back Sangma - Jun 27, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik is Sangma's proposer for president's poll (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Presidential election: Sangma's son meets Patnaik - Jun 26, 2012
- Pranab in Odisha to seek support - Jul 11, 2012
- Pranab hopeful of Mamata's support (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Keen contest for last phase of polls in Orissa (Poll curtainraiser - Orissa) - Apr 22, 2009
- Dissident BJD leader's forum a parallel platform? - Oct 12, 2011
- Polling in Orissa more than 60 percent despite scorching heat (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- BJP rules out poll pact with BJD - Oct 31, 2011
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- Congress, BJD trade charges over presidential election - Jul 01, 2012
- 12-15 percent voting in Orissa in first two hours (Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- Sangma to campaign in Odisha July 15 - Jul 06, 2012
- Mayawati silent on Sangma's bid at presidency - May 19, 2012
Tags: 5 million, assembly constituencies, assembly elections, bhubaneswar, biju, bjd, chief minister, elections official, final phase, franchise, janata, jena, lok sabha seats, orissa, police inspector, polling booth, vote, voter id