National leaders condole Dara Singh’s death (Lead)July 12th, 2012 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 12 (IANS) Top national leaders of the country Thursday condoled the passing away of wrestler-turned-actor Dara Singh, describing him as an icon and a champion.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh expressed deep grief over the death of Dara Singh, and said he had been an inspiration and icon to many generations in the country.
Dara Singh, a former Rajya Sabha member, died at his residence in Mumbai following a brief illness. He was 84.
In his condolence message, the prime minister said: “I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing away of Shri Dara Singh, who has been an inspiration and icon to many generations in our country.”
“A self-educated son-of-the-soil, he rose to the heights of the entertainment world, sports arena and public life with humility and grace. His contribution to the Hindi and Punjabi cinema, wrestling and the Upper House of the Parliament will be remembered by millions.”
Vice President M. Hamid Ansari said he was “deeply grieved” by the sad demise of the former MP, wrestling champ and actor.
“His acting career was most memorable for the intensity and diversity of characters that he had portrayed. His role as a nominated MP is remembered by one and all,” he added.
Ansari said he and his wife send their heartfelt condolences to the members of the bereaved family and the wide circle of his friends and admirers.
“We pray to the Almighty to grant them the strength and fortitude to withstand this tragedy.”
- PM condoles passing away of Dara Singh - Jul 12, 2012
- Vice President Ansari condoles Congress leader Arjun Singh's demise - Mar 05, 2011
- Dara Singh among top five trends on Twitter - Jul 12, 2012
- Indian wrestling lost a mentor, says IOA chief - Jul 12, 2012
- VM - Dara Singh, champ with heart of gold, bid final goodbye (Roundup) - Jul 12, 2012
- Dara Singh, champ with heart of gold, bid final goodbye (Intro Roundup, correcting para eight) - Jul 12, 2012
- President, Vice President condole demise of Pandit Bhimsen Joshi - Jan 24, 2011
- Vice President condoles death of Dr. Arjun Kumar Sengupta - Sep 26, 2010
- Vice President condoles demise of Tyeb Mehta - Jul 03, 2009
- PM mourns Rajesh Khanna's death - Jul 18, 2012
- Patil, Ansari condole freedom fighter's death - Oct 27, 2010
- B-wood mourns Dara Singh's death - Jul 12, 2012
- PM condoles Bali Ram Bhagat's death - Jan 02, 2011
- Vice President Ansari condoles death of former Kerala CM Karunakaran - Dec 23, 2010
- Dara Singh - the champion loses his final fight (Obituary) - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: acting career, bereaved family, condolence message, dara singh, entertainment world, fortitude, hamid ansari, heartfelt condolences, manmohan, manmohan singh, many generations, national leaders, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha member, sad demise, son of the soil, sports arena, upper house, world sports