Nation lost chance to have tribal president: SangmaJuly 22nd, 2012 - 7:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 22 (IANS) Congratulating Pranab Mukherjee for winning the presidential poll, opposition candidate Purno Sangma said the nation had lost an opportunity to elevate a tribal candidate to the post of the president.
“I may have lost the election, but the nation on the whole has also lost a chance to elevate a tribal to the post of president,” Sangma said at a press conference after the result was announced.
He also said that there should be a code of conduct for the presidential poll.
“There is a compelling need for establishing a code of conduct for the presidential election,” he said, adding that the process of election this year was “exceptionally political”.
Sangma was backed by opposition parties BJP, SAD, AIADMK and BJD and some other parties.
- Sangma congratulates Mukherjee, keeps election petition option open (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Tribal Forum of India to float new party: Sangma - Jul 31, 2012
- I will win: Sangma (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- BJD, AIADMK back Sangma for presidency (Intro Roundup) - May 17, 2012
- Sangma's tribal card draws bouquets, brickbats in Meghalaya - Jul 22, 2012
- Consensus growing in favour of Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- BJD, AIADMK back Sagma for president (Roundup) - May 17, 2012
- Sangma to meet BJP legislators in Lucknow Wednesday - Jul 10, 2012
- Sangma's political party gets new avatar - Aug 24, 2012
- BJP dissociates itself from Sangma's petition plan (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Presidential poll divides left, right, centre - Jul 10, 2012
- Sonia to host lunch for UPA, supporting parties before presidential poll - Jul 13, 2012
- Sangma second tribal from Meghalaya to lose presidential poll - Jul 22, 2012
- NCP cautions Sangma, hints of action - Jun 16, 2012
- Race for Raisina Hill on, Pranab, Sangma file nominations (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012