NASA ex-consultant Darade wins distrct poll in VidarbhaFebruary 17th, 2012 - 4:24 pm ICT by IANS
Buldhana (Maharashtra), Feb 17 (IANS) Indian scientist-turned-politician and former NASA consultant in the US, Balasaheb S. Darade Friday emerged the surprise winner in the Pangradole circle constituency in the Buldhana district council polls, an aide said.
“He has won by a margin of over 4,000 votes, trouncing his nearest Nationalist Congress rival, followed by the Shiv Sena and the Congress,” his close friend and campaign manager Amol Kadam told IANS.
Kadam said Darade is the youngest-ever elected member of the Zilla Parishad and has won with the highest margin in the current elections, for which polling was held Feb 7.
Shortly after his victory was announced, Darade (28) thanked his supporters, the villagers and then rushed to the nearby Khatkeshwar temple to offer thanksgiving prayers to his late parents, Kadam said.
Darade lived in the US for over a decade, specializing in nanotechnology. However, he left his cutting edge work last year when conscience beckoned him to help change and improve things in his Parda village in the state’s Vidarbha region.
“I had always been keen on research, especially nano in solar cells. My work got me a consultancy assignment with US space agency NASA and I worked on the Mars Rover Project on nano solar cells,” Darade had told IANS at the height of the election campaign earlier this month.
- This scientist left US job to fight Maharashtra local polls - Feb 01, 2012
- Hazare village headman withdraws from election race - Jan 30, 2012
- Phase 1 of Karnataka panchayat polls peacefully ends - Dec 26, 2010
- BJP's high-stakes gamble in Karnataka panchayat polls - Dec 21, 2010
- Goa whizkid helps BJP campaign in Kerala - Apr 08, 2011
- Count all civic polls votes same day: Maharashtra opposition - Jan 03, 2012
- Trinamool wins both seats in Bengal assembly by-polls - Jun 15, 2012
- Tweaking solar cell can double its efficiency - Jan 22, 2012
- No decision on Modi campaigning for Maharashtra civic polls - Jan 14, 2012
- Polls in BMC, 9 other municipal corporations Feb 16 (Lead) - Jan 03, 2012
- Maharashtra opposition wants simultaneous counting of votes - Jan 04, 2012
- Thackeray's birthday gift - two rallies - Jan 12, 2012
- Punjab results decimate Manpreet Badal, PPP - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress wins two bypolls, BJP drubbed in Karnataka (Roundup) - Dec 04, 2011
- Now, power your home with 'solar paint' - Dec 22, 2011
Tags: campaign manager, conscience, constituency, cutting edge, edge work, election campaign, indian scientist, mars rover, nanotechnology, nasa, nasa consultant, nationalist congress, politician, rover project, shiv sena, solar cells, space agency, surprise winner, thanksgiving, thanksgiving prayers