Narayan Rane opts out of chief minister’s raceDecember 5th, 2008 - 6:35 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 5 (IANS) Maharashtra Revenue Minister Narayan Rane, a strong contender for the chief minister’s post, announced Friday evening that he was out of the race.Although he said he was not quitting the Congress, Rane attacked outgoing Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh and the likely successor Ashok Chavan at a hurriedly convened media briefing at his residence.
Rane said Deshmukh should have first owned moral responsibility for last week’s Mumbai terror attacks and quit immediately.
He said that Deshmukh was “directly responsible” for the deaths of 172 innocents and hundreds injured in the terror attack.
Rane had joined the Congress in 2005 after quitting the Shiv Sena.
- A bitter Narayan Rane attacks Congress, but won't quit party (Lead) - Dec 05, 2008
- Bal Thackeray roars at massive election rally - Feb 12, 2012
- Prove bribery allegation or quit, Bal Thackeray dares Chavan (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- 15 leaders have been Maharashtra chief minister in 50 years - Nov 11, 2010
- Congress, NCP bicker in Maharashtra; Sena for central rule - Feb 01, 2012
- Shiv Sena demands Rane's sack for Adarsh scam - Aug 02, 2011
- No question of taking MNS support, says Ashok Chavan - Oct 25, 2009
- Congress says it will form government in Maharashtra (Second Lead) - Oct 22, 2009
- Maharashtra CM Ashok Chavan likely to meet Pranab tonight - Oct 31, 2010
- Shiv Sena, BJP boycott Maharshtra assembly over suspensions - Mar 25, 2011
- Adarsh Society: High rise of mystery and suspicion - Jan 16, 2011
- Shiv Sena got Rs.5 bn to oppose Jaitapur: Narayan Rane - Apr 21, 2011
- Maharashtra Congress leaders called to Delhi for talks - Oct 24, 2009
- Vilasrao should resign: Maharashtra opposition - Apr 05, 2012
- Rane suspended from Congress for 'gross indiscipline' - Dec 06, 2008