Narasimha Rao had key role in Ayodhya temple construction: SinghalAugust 11th, 2010 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 11 (IANS) Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) international president Ashok Singhal Wednesday praised former prime minister P.V. Narasimha Rao for his role in the construction of a makeshift Ram temple at the site of the demolished Babri Masjid in Ayodhya.
Singhal told reporters here Wednesday that the late Rao ensured construction of the temple Dec 6, 1992.
“There is no doubt that Narasimaha Rao played an important role in the construction of the temple. His role cannot be ignored,” Singhal said.
Then prime minister Narasimha Rao had come under criticism for his inaction to prevent demolition of the mosque and subsequent construction of the temple.
Singhal demanded that a bill be brought in parliament for construction of Ram temple and appealed to all parties to support the same. Claiming that 60 percent of the work of the temple was already over, he exuded confidence that the work would be completed in two years.
The VHP leader said a peaceful movement for the construction of the temple at Ayodhya would be launched. “There will be signature campaign, meetings and yagnams to fulfill the dream of a grand Ram temple,” he said.
He said starting from Aug 16, all VHP activists and supporters and other pro-temple groups would recite the Hanuman Chalisa 11 times every day as part of a four-month-long Hanuman Shakti Jagran.
Singhal criticised Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for hinting at the possibility of autonomy to Jammu and Kashmir.
“Giving autonomy to Jammu and Kashmir will prove disastrous. The state is already a part of India. We are demanding that Article 370 itself should be scrapped which gives special status to the state,” Singhal said.
He alleged that the Hindu community in the border state was facing untold miseries. Claiming that four lakh Hindus had to flee from Kashmir, he demanded strengthening of the Indian army to check infiltration.
- VHP plans '90s like agitation for Ram temple, says Togadia - Jan 07, 2011
- Advani rakes up Ram temple issue - Sep 09, 2012
- Ram temple, Hindu terror, Brahmaputra dam top VHP meet agenda(Lead) - Jan 07, 2011
- VHP not ready to give away any part of Ayodhya land - Oct 20, 2010
- VHP meet in Goa to discuss 'saffron terror' - Dec 17, 2010
- Sonia creating Hindu terror bogey: Singhal - Jan 07, 2011
- Parliament must empower Ram temple construction: VHP - Jan 09, 2011
- Ayodhya issue: 'I had three meetings with Narasimha Rao' says Singhal - Nov 27, 2009
- BJP again takes Ayodhya issue to high pitch - Sep 05, 2010
- Hindu terrorism phrase coined by vested interests: VHP - Dec 17, 2010
- Factsheet: Timeline of the Ayodhya Dispute - May 09, 2011
- Sanatan Sanstha not invited to top VHP event - Dec 17, 2010
- VHP seers meet in Ayodhya to decide on road ahead - Oct 20, 2010
- VHP to move Supreme Court against Ayodhya verdict - Dec 07, 2010
- Hindu leaders want law to build Ram temple in Ayodhya - Dec 26, 2010
Tags: ashok singhal, babri masjid, border state, campaign meetings, former prime minister, hanuman chalisa, hindu community, indian army, international president, manmohan singh, p v narasimha rao, peaceful movement, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, ram temple, signature campaign, temple construction, temple groups, vhp, vishwa hindu parishad