Naidu elected TDP leader in Andhra assemblyMay 21st, 2009 - 4:21 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 21 (IANS) Telugu Desam Party (TDP) president N. Chandrababu Naidu was Thursday unanimously elected leader of the newly-elected legislators of the party in Andhra Pradesh assembly.
The TDP legislature party met at NTR Trust Bhavan, the party headquarters here, and elected Naidu as the leader. Senior leader P. Ashok Gajapati Raju proposed Naidu’s name while other leaders seconded it.
Naidu will be the leader of opposition in the state assembly for the second consecutive term.
In the just-concluded elections, TDP bagged 92 seats in 294-member assembly and won six out of 42 Lok Sabha seats in the state. Though it doubled its strength in the assembly, it failed to return to power despite an alliance with Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) and the two Left parties.
The former chief minister asked his legislators to play the role of constructive opposition and strengthen the party. Raju, a former minister, said the party lost the elections due to “bad luck”.
The four party Grand Alliance-led by TDP polled 1.99 percent fewer votes than the Congress party, which retained power for the second consecutive term by winning 156 assembly seats.
However, the difference in votes polled by the two was as high as 5.03 percent in the Lok Sabha elections as the Congress bagged 33 seats.
- TDP to abstain in presidential election - Jul 18, 2012
- Jagan party shocks Congress, wrests three council seats - Mar 23, 2011
- YSRCP sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags one Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Fourth Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSR Congress sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Andhra parties welcome by-poll schedule - Apr 24, 2012
- I'll remain with TDP till my last breath: Junior NTR - Jul 09, 2012
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSR Congress Party wins Nellore Lok Sabha, 14 assembly seats (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Newly-elected legislators call on Jagan in jail - Jun 16, 2012
- Suspended TDP lawmaker hits back at Naidu - Jul 11, 2012
- YSR Congress Party bags 8 assembly seats, leading in 7 (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Succession war between Naidu, NTR families hots up - May 28, 2011
- Congress, allies sweep Andhra council polls (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- YSR Congress headed for clean sweep in Andhra by-elections (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- TDP livid with NDTV's Andhra poll survey - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh assembly, ashok, assembly seats, bad luck, chandrababu naidu, chief minister, congress party, consecutive term, constructive opposition, grand alliance, leader of opposition, left parties, legislators, lok sabha elections, lok sabha seats, member assembly, party headquarters, state assembly, trs