Muslim scholar gets Sadhbhavana AwardAugust 20th, 2010 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 20 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Friday that India needs the services of people who work for strengthening social unity.
Presenting the Rajiv Gandhi National Sadhbhavana Award to noted Islamic scholar Maulana Wahidudddin Khan, the prime minister said the award is given every year to a personality who had contributed to increasing social unity.
He said that former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi had taken “unprecedented initiatives to sign accords and start dialogue to end strifes in different parts of the country”.
Congratulating Maulana Wahidudddin Khan who won the award for 2009, the prime minister said the Islamic scholar had spent his whole life spreading the message of unity and peace and his books had attempted to find a peaceful solution to challenges of terrorism.
Khan had taken out a peace march with Acharya Sushil Muni and Swami Chidanand after the 1992 happenings in Ayodhya and the step had helped in normalising the situation.
Manmohan Singh said that Khan had carried India’s message of love, peace and togetherness to different parts of the world.
In her remarks, Congress president Sonia Gandhi said her husband Rajiv Gandhi and leaders like Jawaharlal Nehru and Mahatma Gandhi had never compromised on the principles of secularism and social unity.
She said that secularism should become a way of life to strengthen social unity.
The Sadbhavna award was presented on Rajiv Gandhi’s birth anniversary.
- Secularism should be way of life: Sonia - Aug 20, 2010
- Sonia condemns Assam violence, mistreatment of northeast people - Aug 19, 2012
- Sonia seeks action in Assam violence, northeastern people's mistreatment (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavana award for D.R. Mehta - Aug 04, 2012
- India raises social media misuse with Pakistan, situation normal in south (Roundup) - Aug 19, 2012
- Am grateful for mistakes pointed out: Modi - Sep 17, 2011
- Heart of Indian culture lies in Islam: Khurshid - Jul 26, 2010
- Maulana Wahiduddin to get Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavna Award - Aug 09, 2010
- President, PM, Sonia greet nation on Eid - Nov 06, 2011
- Cyber attack on website of petitioner against Facebook, others - Feb 07, 2012
- Uphold Islamic tradition of peace in Kashmir: clerics - Apr 24, 2011
- PM greets nation on Easter - Apr 07, 2012
- PM presents Sadbhavana award to Gautam Bhai - Aug 20, 2009
- JUI-F chief offered to mediate between US, Taliban during 2007 India visit: WikiLeaks - Apr 01, 2011
- Missing you Sonia, says Anna-hit Congress - Aug 22, 2011
Tags: ayodhya, birth anniversary, congress president sonia gandhi, former prime minister, husband rajiv gandhi, islamic scholar, jawaharlal nehru, mahatma gandhi, manmohan, manmohan singh, muni, muslim scholar, peace march, peaceful solution, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, secularism, social unity, spreading the message, togetherness