Murder accused NCP MP in jail till July 3June 20th, 2009 - 7:48 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 20 (IANS) A Maharashtra court Saturday granted judicial custody till July 4 to suspended NCP MP Padamsingh Patil for his alleged involvement in the 2006 murder of his cousin and Congress leader Pavan Raje Nimbalkar.
Patil’s custody with the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) ended Saturday and he was brought before the Panvel magistrate court in Navi Mumbai in the afternoon.
Patil, who was elected from Maharashtra’s Osmanabad Lok Sabha constituency last month, was arrested June 7 and charged with the murder and conspiracy to kill Nimbalkar and his driver Samad Qazi.
According to senior public prosecutor Ejaz Khan, Padamsingh Patil has been charged under the Indian Penal Code’s sections 302 and 120-B, dealing with murder and criminal conspiracy respectively.
Challenging the CBI plea for further custody, Patil’s lawyer alleged that he was being framed in the murder case by the investigative agency.
In a related development, the CBI raided two flats owned by Patil in south Mumbai and recovered a large cache of arms, ammunition, sophisticated walkie-talkie sets, computers and discs, swords and unaccounted cash Rs.726,000.
Nimbalkar was shot dead by two gunmen at Kalamboli in Navi Mumbai July 3, 2006, after he was lured there under the pretext of striking a business deal.
Shooter Dineshram M. Tiwari, 37, and his supervisor Parasmal T. Jain, 47, were arrested by the CBI May 25 for killing Nimbalkar and Qazi.
In their confession recorded before a magistrate, Jain and Tiwari also made the sensational disclosure of receiving a Rs. 2.5 million contract to eliminate renowned social and anti-corruption crusader, Anna Hazare, a Magsaysay Award winner.
The contract to kill Nimbalkar and Hazare was given by a Latur businessman, Mohan Shukla and a municipal corporator from Dombivli (suburb of Thane) Satish Mandade, who are also in CBI custody. However, they claimed that Jain and Tiwari refused to kill Hazare.
- Murder accused MP Padamsinh Patil fined Rs.10,000 (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Accused NCP MP sent to CBI custody till June 20 - Jun 14, 2009
- CBI raids houses of murder accused NCP MP - Jun 25, 2009
- Forensic experts to probe murder of Maharashtra Congress leader - Jun 11, 2009
- NCP MP Padamsinh Patil charged with Congress leader's murder, in CBI custody (Fourth Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- NCP MP Padamsinh Patil charged with murder of Congress leader (Third Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- Plot to kill Magsaysay winner Anna Hazare revealed (Lead) - Jun 01, 2009
- NCP MP Padamsinh Patil in CBI custody for Congress leader's murder (Roundup) - Jun 07, 2009
- NCP MP gets bail in Nimbalkar murder case - Sep 25, 2009
- CBI to challenge Maharashtra MP's bail in murder case (Lead) - Jun 09, 2010
- CBI quizzes Anna Hazare in Nimbalkar murder - Jun 09, 2009
- Slain Congress leader's wife wants trial in Mumbai - Mar 11, 2012
- NCP MP arrested for Congress leader's murder (Fifth Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- Patil's CBI custody extended till June 20 - Jun 14, 2009
- Murder accused MP Padamsinh Patil fined Rs.10,000 - Jun 07, 2011
Tags: arms ammunition, business deal, cbi, central bureau of investigation, congress leader, criminal conspiracy, indian penal code, investigative agency, judicial custody, Lok Sabha, magistrate court, magsaysay award, osmanabad, pavan, public prosecutor, raje, sabha constituency, samad, shukla, south mumbai