Murder accused former BSP functionary surrenders in Uttar PradeshJanuary 6th, 2009 - 6:13 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 6 (IANS) Yogendra Dohre alias Bhatia, a former functionary of Uttar Pradesh’s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and prime accused in the murder of an engineer, Tuesday surrendered before a court after evading arrest for nearly two weeks. The court remanded him in police custody till Jan 19.
“We have obtained the remand,” Auraiya district police chief Nachiketa Jha told IANS, declining to elaborate further.
According to police, Dohre appeared before Chief Judicial Magistrate Samarpal Singh at around 12.30 p.m.
Dohre, a former BSP district president in Auraiya, about 250 km from here, was at large after the Dec 24 murder of Public Works Department (PWD) engineer M.K. Gupta.
Having failed to arrest Dohre, police Jan 3 announced a cash reward of Rs.2,500 on him.
There are 10 accused in the case, including BSP legislator Shekhar Tiwari, who is in police custody. Three of them are yet to be arrested.
The state police Saturday filed a charge sheet against the 10 accused.
Gupta was lynched in Auraiya of central Uttar Pradesh allegedly after he refused to shell out Rs.5 million the legislator had demanded as a “contribution” for Chief Minister Mayawati’s birthday bash Jan 15.
State police chief Vikram Singh has maintained that the engineer was killed because he refused to buckle under the legislator’s pressure to award contracts to his henchmen.
- BSP leader surrenders, driver arrested for enguineer's lynching(Lead) - Jan 06, 2009
- Engineer's lynching: accused legislator's remand extended - Jan 03, 2009
- BSP MLA gets life for engineer's killing (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Mayawati orders BSP legislator's arrest in minor's rape (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh girl was raped by legislator, his guards - Jan 11, 2011
- Expected death sentence for killers: Slain engineer's mother - May 06, 2011
- Life term for BSP legislator in engineer's murder (Second Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Suspended policeman blames engineer's murder on 'birthday funds' - Jan 03, 2009
- Policeman arrested in murder for Mayawati bash (Lead) - Jul 25, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh cop in police remand for engineer's murder - Jul 29, 2009
- BSP leader manipulating engineer's murder case, says witness - Oct 14, 2009
- More BSP names could tumble out in engineer's killing - Dec 27, 2008
- Widows will be protected, given justice: Supreme Court - Jan 17, 2011
- Policeman arrested in murder for Mayawati bash - Jul 25, 2009
- Engineer's lynching: Shekhar Tiwari's gunmen arrested - Dec 30, 2008