Municipal elections in Lucknow SaturdayJune 22nd, 2012 - 7:45 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 22 (IANS) Polling will be held Saturday to elect the corporators of the Lucknow Municipal Corporation (LMC) and the city mayor, besides members of the eight nagar panchayats (urban councils) in the district.
About 22.47 lakh voters are likely to cast their ballots for the LMC and nagar panchayat elections.
The elections will decide the fate of 12 candidates who are standing for mayor’s post, and 1,679 candidates vying for the 110 corporator seats. The poll results will be declared July 7.
To ensure foolproof security for the crucial polls, the city has been divided into 30 zones and 70 sectors. The voting will take place between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m., election officials said.
District Magistrate Anuraag Yadav told IANS that adequate arrangements have been made for peaceful polling and warned supporters of various parties not to breach the model code of conduct or face action.
Heavy security cover has been thrown across the city. Sixteen companies of the Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC), 29 deputy superintendents of police, 608 sub-inspectors, 345 head constables, 4,490 constables, 342 lady constables, and 6,000 home guards have been deployed for the election duty.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- Jump in liquor sales ahead of Lucknow civic polls - Jun 23, 2012
- BJP sweeps corporation polls in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Elaborate security for Agra municipal polls - Jun 27, 2012
- EC moots GIS mapping of all polling booths in UP - Apr 27, 2012
- Major gains for BJP in UP urban body polls - Jul 07, 2012
- BJP adds Ghaziabad mayor's seat to its kitty - Jul 08, 2012
- BJP retains Lucknow's mayor seat - Jul 07, 2012
- Lucknow's civic body gnashes teeth against stray dogs - Aug 26, 2010
- Congress wins Chandigarh mayoral election - Jan 01, 2012
- CPI-M hails victory in Shimla polls - May 28, 2012
- Tamil Nadu civic polls: First phase ends - Oct 17, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh to vote in second round Saturday - Feb 10, 2012
- Shoot-at-sight orders in Uttar Pradesh against booth capturers - Oct 14, 2010
- Congress loses after 25 years in Shimla municipal polls - May 28, 2012
- Polling starts for Shimla Municipal Corporation - May 27, 2012
Tags: adequate arrangements, asian news, ballots, city mayor, code of conduct, constables, constabulary, deputy superintendents, district magistrate, dp, election officials, face action, foolproof security, heavy security, indo, lmc, model code, municipal elections, panchayat elections, poll results