Munda recovering in hospital after chopper crash (Lead)May 10th, 2012 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, May 10 (IANS) Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda, who survived a chopper crash landing with multiple injuries Wednesday, is recovering, said the Apollo Hospital here Thursday, adding that BJP legislator Barkuwar Gagari, also hurt in the accident, may be discharged Friday.
“Munda and other people admitted in the hospital are recovering. BJP legislator Barkuwar Gagari, one of the six people injured in the accident, might be discharged Friday evening,” said a hospital bulletin.
“Munda, his security officer Manoj Singh and pilot Captain V.K. Singh suffered more injuries than the three other people,” said a hospital source. “After crash landing, the chopper toppled to the side where Munda was sitting. Meera Munda (the chief minister’s wife) and Gagari were the first to be removed from the chopper. Munda was taken out with the help of airport security officials. His hand was trapped in the chopper,” said the source.
The source said Munda might have to stay on for a few days in the hospital for treatment.
“Munda in his message to people of the state has said he is well,” the chief minister’s political advisor Ayodhyanath Mishra had told reporters earlier in the day.
The chief minister, he said, had met some people in the morning at the hospital.
Munda’s mother, who lives in Jamshedpur, also came to the hospital.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Vice President Hamid Ansari, in their messages wished for a speedy recovery of the chief minister and his wife.
Munda suffered a right ankle fracture and minor injuries in his spine and waist.
He was on his way to Saraikela Kharsawa district to participate in a programme when the helicopter developed a technical snag and returned to Ranchi. The chopper crash-landed from a height of about 25 feet in the airport area and toppled over, injuring its occupants.
A two-member team of the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) arrived in Ranchi Wednesday evening. The team inspected the crashed chopper and met the pilots in the hospital.
The Aryanan Aviation chopper Augusta 009 was said to be 20 years old. In April, the chopper carrying Munda had to make an emergency landing in Jamshedpur after it developed a snag.
- Munda recovering in hospital after chopper crash - May 10, 2012
- Munda: I am fine, will soon get back to work - May 12, 2012
- Jharkhand CM survives nasty chopper crash (Evening Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Munda injured after chopper crash lands (Second Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Munda works from ICU, legislator discharged - May 11, 2012
- Pilot wisdom saved Munda and others - May 09, 2012
- Injured Munda to convene cabinet meeting May 17 - May 14, 2012
- Munda, wife discharged from hospital - May 17, 2012
- Munda, wife escape as chopper crash lands (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Injured Munda discharging duties from bed - Jun 04, 2012
- Gadkari meets Munda in hospital - May 13, 2012
- Chopper mishap: Bedridden Munda sits up for first time - Jun 24, 2012
- Aerial crashes: many leaders died, others survived - May 09, 2012
- JMM to contest Jamshedpur Lok Sabha seat - Apr 01, 2011
- Dhruv choppers grounded after crash - Oct 20, 2011
Tags: ankle fracture, apollo hospital, chief minister, civil aviation, crash landing, dgca, directorate general, hamid ansari, hospital source, manmohan, manmohan singh, member team, minor injuries, mishra, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, security officer, security officials, speedy recovery, technical snag