Munda lays foundation stone for Deoghar airportJuly 17th, 2012 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, July 17 (IANS) Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda Tuesday laid the foundation stone for an airport in Deoghar district, amid protests over poor compensation by villagers who have been displaced by the project.
In an online exercise, Munda “laid” the foundation stone of the airport from his official residence in Ranchi.
The state government and the Airports Authority of India signed a memorandum of understanding early this year to set up the airport in Deoghar, some 250 km from Ranchi.
The Deoghar airport will serve more than five million people who arrive here every year to pray at the Baba Baidyanath temple.
Deoghar’s neighbouring Giridih district is home to the Parasnath Hill, which is of great religious significance to Jains.
Deputy Chief Minister Hemant Soren, Cooperative Department and Minority Welfare Minister Haji Hussain Ansari and others were present in Deoghar as the chief minister pressed a computer key in Ranchi to lay the foundation stone of the airport.
“We will extend all support to make the proposed airport functional,” said Munda at the ceremony.
The villagers who have been displaced for the airport project protested over the low compensation, while the foundation stone-laying function was under way.
–Indo-Asian news Service
- Jharkhand to get airport at Deoghar - Feb 16, 2012
- Jharkhand to construct flats for displaced people - Aug 26, 2011
- One killed as protesters, police clash in Ranchi - Sep 03, 2012
- Bengal parties on foundation stone-laying, inauguration spree - Feb 27, 2011
- Jharkhand to get second 4,000 MW power plant - Jun 17, 2012
- Decks cleared for Bihar power project - Jan 28, 2012
- Legislator tears own shirt in Jharkhand assembly - Sep 03, 2012
- BJP enforces Jharkhand economic blockade against railway budget - Mar 15, 2012
- Jharkhand to hold talks with villagers for IIM, IIIT land - Jul 11, 2012
- CBI probe likely in Jharkhand land scam: Munda - Sep 06, 2011
- Protest against land acquisition in Jharkhand turns violent - Jul 05, 2012
- Shutdown hits life in Jharkhand, Medha Patkar booked - May 02, 2011
- Mamata keeps Buddhadeb away from Metro project function - Sep 22, 2010
- Munda reaches out to people in Maoist areas - Feb 27, 2012
- Villagers oppose land acquisition for Ranchi airport expansion - Sep 14, 2009
Tags: airports authority of india, ansari, asian news, baba, computer key, deoghar, deputy chief minister, foundation stone, giridih, indo, july 17, memorandum of understanding, minority welfare, neighbouring, parasnath, protests, ranchi, religious significance, soren, state government