Mumbai violence raised in Rajya SabhaAugust 14th, 2012 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 14 (IANS) The violence in Mumbai during a rally to protest Assam violence had its echo in the Rajya Sabha Tuesday with a Bharatiya Janata Party leader questioning the “mentality” behind the protest.
“Their sympathy is with illegal migrants, not with the Assamese Bodo brothers. How are they related to Bangladeshis, what is the fault of India if there are atrocities against Rohingya Muslims in Bangladesh?” BJP leader Balbir Punj asked.
“It raises a question on the mentality behind the protest,” he said.
Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut also raised concern over the violence in Mumbai, saying life was effected for two days in the city. He alleged that shoes were hurled at the Amar Jawan Jyoti monument to the unknown soldier there.
Opposition members then became agitated and demanded the government to answer.
Deputy Chairman P.J. Kurien asked the opposition to give a notice. They, however, kept on insisting on a government response immediately. Amidst the din, the upper house was adjourned for 10 minutes.
Later, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde assured the house that the government was ready to take up the discussion. This pacified members.
- Fence entire Bangladesh border, opposition says (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Coal allotment: Chorus for PM's resignation, parliament adjourned (Third Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- BJP, SP protests force parliament adjournment till Friday (Second Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over coal block allocations (Roundup) - Sep 06, 2012
- Shinde apologises for 'filmy' remark against Bachchan (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Shinde seeks united effort for Assam peace, BJP slams vote-bank politics (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Shinde forced to apologise to Jaya Bachchan in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- BJP motion on Assam violence rejected (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Jaya Bachchan, Shinde trade words in Rajya Sabha - Aug 09, 2012
- Ethnic violence may continue, centre warns Assam (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Aggressive Sonia spurs Congress, forces Advani to retract (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Shukla caught on mike telling Kurien to adjourn Rajya Sabha - Aug 21, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over black money (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Kurien elected Rajya Sabha deputy chairman - Aug 21, 2012
- Disclose who leaked army chief's letter: BJP - May 15, 2012
Tags: assam, assamese, atrocities, balbir, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, deputy chairman, government response, home minister, illegal migrants, kurien, opposition members, party leader, punj, rajya sabha, sanjay, sena leader, sushilkumar shinde, unknown soldier, upper house