Mumbai police chief transferred (Second Lead)August 23rd, 2012 - 3:38 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 22 (IANS) Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik was shunted out Thursday, a top home department official said, after coming under criticism over mishandling the Aug 11 violence at Azad Maidan that killed two and injured many, including 45 policemen.
Speculation about Patnaik’s transfer were rife as the Shiv Sena, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) had criticised him for failing to curb the violence. The city police chief defended himself, saying that it was vital that police exercise restraint while handling such a situation.
He has been replaced by Satyapal Singh, a Maharashtra cadre IPS officer of the 1980 batch.
The three opposition parties have also demanded the resignation of Maharashtra Home Minister R.R. Patil, accusing him of failing to maintain law and order in the city.
Talk of Patnaik’s transfer gained currency after MNS chief Raj Thackeray Tuesday led a protest march against the Aug 11 violence, defying the Mumbai police, which had refused him permission for the procession from Girgaum Chowpatty to Azad Maidan.
On Wednesday Patnaik had said that he has ruled out the possibility of resigning. “I am a government employee. I will be fine with whatever post I have been assigned,” he had said when asked if he would resign.
- Patnaik transferred, Satyapal Singh is new Mumbai top cop (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Speculation rife on Mumbai police commissioner's transfer - Aug 22, 2012
- Thousands march in Mumbai to protest violence (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Police allow Raj Thackeray to hold rally (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Raj Thackeray to take out march even if refused permission - Aug 20, 2012
- Mumbai Police gear up for MNS march - Aug 21, 2012
- Mumbai violence: Raj Thackeray demands Patil's resignation - Aug 17, 2012
- Mumbai cop offers rose to Raj Thackeray, attacks police chief - Aug 21, 2012
- Samajwadi Party files complaint against Raj Thackeray - Aug 22, 2012
- Patnaik goes, Mumbai gets new police chief (Roundup) - Aug 23, 2012
- Bangladeshi infiltrators behind Mumbai violence, says Raj Thackeray - Aug 21, 2012
- Bangladeshi infiltrators behind Mumbai violence, says Raj Thackeray (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Raj blames Bangladeshis for violence, wants Patil out (Roundup) - Aug 21, 2012
- 26/11 hero is Mumbai's new joint police commissioner - Aug 30, 2012
- Uddhav again demands permit system for Bihari migrants - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: arup, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chowpatty, city police chief, exercise restraint, government employee, home minister, law and order, maharashtra, maidan, mns, opposition parties, police commissioner, policemen, procession, protest march, resignation, shiv sena, thackeray