Multimillionaire ex Himachal chief minister doesn’t own carApril 23rd, 2009 - 7:47 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, April 23 (IANS) Congress leader and five-time Himachal Pradesh chief minister Virbhadra Singh has total assets worth over Rs.20.5 crore (Rs.205 million) — and the multimillionaire politician doesn’t own a car.
His wife, sitting MP Pratibha Singh has over Rs.1.15 crore property. And the couple have also taken a house building loan of Rs.628,864.
Virbhadra Singh, 75, Thursday filed his nomination papers for the Mandi parliamentary constituency at Mandi town. He disclosed his assets worth Rs.20,53,78,835 and his wife’s property worth Rs.1,15,10,089.
Virbhadra Singh is pitted against Maheshwar Singh, the Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) three-time MP, whose assets are worth Rs.2.50 crore.
While Virbhadra Singh is contesting the Lok Sabha elections after a gap of 29 years, Maheshwar Singh is testing his luck for the fourth time in a row from Mandi. Both belong to royal families.
Pratibha Singh is the sitting MP from Mandi. She defeated Maheshwar Singh by 66,566 votes in the last parliamentary elections.
The Congress candidate from the Kangra constituency Chander Kumar also filed his nomination papers.
Kumar, who is the sitting MP, is contesting against BJP’s Rajan Sushant. He won the last Lok Sabha elections defeating BJP candidate and former union minister Shanta Kumar by 17,791 votes.
Himachal Pradesh has four Lok Sabha seats - Shimla (Scheduled Caste), Kangra, Mandi and Hamirpur - and the polls will be held May 13.
- Spotlight on Mandi, Hamirpur (Poll curtainraiser - Himachal Pradesh) - May 12, 2009
- Himachal poll war hots up as Congress names candidates - Mar 15, 2009
- Three-time BJP MP files nomination in Himachal - Apr 21, 2009
- Two-time MP, BJP rebel file nominations in Himachal - Apr 18, 2009
- Himachal's 'Raja Saab' has much at stake - May 10, 2009
- Nine multimillionaire candidates in Himachal - May 09, 2009
- CPI-M names candidate for Mandi - Mar 07, 2009
- Tribal areas of Himachal record high turnout - May 13, 2009
- Five-time Himachal minister dead - Sep 01, 2012
- BJP leading in all Himachal Lok Sabha seats - May 16, 2009
- People voted for good governance: Himachal CM (Roundup) - May 16, 2009
- Nothing to do with Virbhadra episode, says BJP - Jun 26, 2012
- Himachal Pradesh sees over 58 percent polling (Roundup) - May 14, 2009
- It's homecoming for Virbhadra Singh (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Jun 29, 2012
- Lacklustre Himachal poll campaign ends - May 12, 2009
Tags: bharatiya janata party, chief minister, congress candidate, congress leader, hamirpur, lok sabha elections, lok sabha seats, maheshwar, multimillionaire, nomination papers, own a car, own car, parliamentary constituency, parliamentary elections, pratibha, property worth rs, rajan, royal families, shanta kumar, union minister