Mulayam to take up ‘anti-Islam’ comments on Facebook with PMJuly 11th, 2012 - 12:49 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 10 (IANS) Objecting to “anti-Islam” material like cartoons and comments on sites such as Facebook, Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav Tuesday called for a blanket ban on such misuse of social media and said he will take up the matter with the prime minister.
In a statement issued by party spokesman Rajendra Chaudhary on his behalf, the party said that such comments and material was likely to cause communal strife and action should be taken immediately against such activity.
In the name of freedom of speech, such activities cannot be allowed to ruin the communal fabric of the country, Mulayam Singh said in the statement.
He took note of such activity after SP’s Mumbai unit chief Abu Azmi brought it to his notice.
Mulayam Singh has also said that he will take up the matter with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and called for an action plan to put an end to such slander on social networking sites like Facebook.
Azmi has also sought the intervention of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to take up the matter at the right places, said the statement.
–IndoAsian News Service
- Mulayam day-dreaming of becoming PM: Beni Prasad - Aug 20, 2012
- UP cane farmers team to visit Australia, Fiji and Mauritus - Jun 28, 2012
- With ministers like his, Akhilesh needs no enemies (Uttar Pradesh Newsletter) - Aug 18, 2012
- At 38, Akhilesh to be UP's youngest chief minister (Second Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Akhilesh Yadav to be UP chief minister (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Mulayam pulls up government over Etawah firing - Apr 02, 2012
- UP governor accepts Mayawati's resignation - Mar 08, 2012
- Akhilesh so far, walks in the shadow of Mulayam (News Analysis) - Mar 20, 2012
- Dimple Yadav to launch second political innings Tuesday - Jun 04, 2012
- Samjawadi Party frustrated, says Shahid Siddiqui - Jul 30, 2012
- Miffed Azam Khan offers to quit UP cabinet - Jul 26, 2012
- Akhilesh sworn in as UP chief minister (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Communal violence casts a shadow on Uttar Pradesh - Aug 15, 2012
- Image conscious Akhilesh Yadav begins 'clean up' - Mar 12, 2012
- Akhilesh Yadav calls on Mamata Banerjee (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
Tags: azmi, blanket ban, chief minister, communal strife, facebook, freedom of speech, lucknow, manmohan, manmohan singh, mulayam singh yadav, mumbai, news service, party spokesman, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, Samajwadi Party, slander, social networking sites, unit chief, vd