Mulayam flays Azam Khan over Jayaprada commentFebruary 18th, 2009 - 8:51 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Feb 18 (IANS) Samajwadi Party president and former Uttar Pradesh chief minister Mulayam Singh Yadav Wednesday flayed his one-time confidant Azam Khan for calling actress-MP Jayaprada a “BJP agent”.
Replying to questions at a press conference here, he said: “I do not consider it right on Azam’s part to be making such loose statements in public.
“Even if he has a grouse against anyone within the party, being a senior leader, he is expected to talk it out and discuss at our internal forum instead of going about talking like this publicly.”
Pressed, he added: “Sure enough I do not approve of it.”
A firebrand Muslim leader, Azam Khan was a minister in each of the three governments Mulayam Singh Yadav headed in Uttar Pradesh. He accused Jayaprada of being an agent of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Khan has been furious over Mulayam Singh’s bonhomie with rebel BJP leader Kalyan Singh, who was chief minister when the Babri mosque was razed in Ayodhya in 1992.
Khan has been convenor of the Babri Masjid Action Committee and has fought fervently for the restoration of the mosque.
- Samajwadi Party revokes expulsion of Azam Khan - Nov 03, 2010
- Mulayam welcomes Azam Khan back in party fold - Dec 04, 2010
- Mulayam ignored warnings on Kalyan, says Azam Khan - Nov 20, 2009
- Jayaprada an agent of BJP, says Azam Khan - Feb 17, 2009
- Mulayam apologises to Muslims for aligning with Kalyan - Jul 15, 2010
- Samajwadi Party expels Azam Khan for six years - May 24, 2009
- Mulayam disowns Kalyan Singh after drubbing - Nov 14, 2009
- Mulayam disowns Kalyan Singh after election rout (Lead) - Nov 14, 2009
- Azam Khan targets Amar Singh - Feb 20, 2009
- Mulayam Singh apologies to Muslim community - Jul 15, 2010
- Samajwadi Party MP trains guns at Mulayam - Feb 05, 2009
- Mulayam brings Azam Khan back into fold (Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
- Azam refuses to call ceasefire with Bukhari - Apr 10, 2012
- Amar Singh denies role in Samajwadi Party's friendship with Kalyan Singh - May 10, 2009
- After Azam barb, disquiet in SP out in open (News Analysis) - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: action committee, actress, ayodhya, azam khan, babri masjid, babri mosque, bharatiya janata party, bjp, bonhomie, chief minister, confidant, firebrand, grouse, internal forum, jayaprada, kalyan singh, muslim leader, party president, rebel bjp leader, yadav