Mukherjee to visit Dhaka mid-JanuaryJanuary 4th, 2009 - 7:04 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Jan 4 (IANS) India’s External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee is scheduled to be here mid-January, among the first foreign dignitaries to visit Bangladesh after the new government led by Sheikh Hasina is sworn in next Tuesday.The outgoing caretaker government’s Foreign Affairs Advisor Iftekhar Ahmed Chowdhury confirmed this, but said details of the visit would be worked out by the new government.
India wholeheartedly welcomed the outcome of Dec 29 general elections that gave a sweeping three-fourths majority to Hasina’s Awami League and a nine-party alliance that she heads.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh emphasised on the “historic ties” between the two south Asian nations and invited Hasina to visit India as soon as possible.
Mukherjee’s Dhaka visit was announced simultaneously. He is well-known to Bangladesh’s establishment and the intelligentsia.
He was last here in December 2007 to express solidarity with Bangladesh that was hit by Cyclone Sidr.
Bangladesh foreign ministry officials said the Indian minister will officially convey his government’s greetings to Awami League president Sheikh Hasina and her nascent government.
The Indian high commissioner to Dhaka, Pinak Ranjan Chakraverty, had met Hasina earlier in the week to hand over congratulatory letters from the Indian leadership.
- Pranab Mukherjee to visit Dhaka in May - Apr 01, 2012
- Sonia to meet Hasina during Bangladesh visit - Jul 20, 2011
- Bangladesh PM to visit Tripura - Sep 11, 2011
- Delhi wants Dhaka ties to reach 'highest possible peak' - May 06, 2011
- Bangladesh keen on joint ventures with India: Hasina - Jan 12, 2012
- Foiled Bangladesh coup shows army is pro-democracy: experts - Jan 20, 2012
- Retired Indian Army officer to get Bangladesh award - Jun 25, 2012
- India, Bangladesh pledge closer ties at close of Tagore anniversary - May 07, 2012
- Bangladesh to felicitate Indian defence officers - Mar 26, 2012
- India, Bangladesh to hold talks; PM's visit on agenda - Jun 06, 2011
- India clarifies Chidamabaram's absence during Hasina visit - Oct 23, 2011
- PM to go on 'charm Dhaka' trip, India spotlights Bangla ties (Second Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Manmohan telephones Sheikh Hasina; Bangladesh hopes for historic September visit (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2011
- WikiLeaks: India worried over Hasina, Zia - Dec 20, 2010
- Tripura airport being upgraded for Hasina's visit - Jan 06, 2012
Tags: awami league, caretaker government, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, government india, indian high commissioner, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan singh, sheikh hasina, south asian nations