Mukherjee, best man for president: CongressJune 15th, 2012 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 15 (IANS) The Congress Friday said that Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee “was the best man for the job” of the president with his decades of knowledge and experience.
“Amongst all the names in the fray, I think Pranab ji is the best man for the job. His role in in UPA 1 (United Progressive Alliance) and UPA 2 has been very important,” Congress leader Janardhan Dwivedi told reporters here.
Lauding Mukherjee’s decades of experience and knowledge, Dwivedi “hoped” that all parties would support Mukherjee’s candidature.
“Several political parties had praised him from time to time and it would be great if there is a consensus on his name,” he said adding that “it would have been good” if key ally and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee was also on board.
Banerjee had Wednesday rejected Mukherjee’s candidature and instead proposed former president A.P.J Abdul Kalam’s name along with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterji.
Bannerjee earlier in the day had even sent “advance congratulations” to Kalam for a second tenure in office.
Dwivedi further said that it was “nature’s law that if someone moves on, he shall be replaced by another,” when asked about how the government would cope without its “trouble shooter” at the helm of affairs.
- We can't spare Manmohan Singh, says Congress (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Advani, Jayalalithaa to 'coordinate' on presidential polls (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Pranab 'deeply honoured', calls Mamata sister (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Mukherjee will now win by bigger margin, says Congress - Jul 17, 2012
- Congress hopes Mamata will support Pranab - Jun 15, 2012
- BJP, AIADMK to coordinate on presidential poll: Advani (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Mamata logs on to Facebook to canvass for Kalam - Jun 16, 2012
- Mulayam remains mum as Samajwadi Party keeps everyone guessing - Jun 15, 2012
- BJP wants Congress to react, NDA meet unlikely before Saturday (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Trinamool calls Mulayam a 'traitor', hopes for consensus on Kalam - Jun 15, 2012
- Left intellectual questions call for consensus on Pranab - Jun 20, 2012
- Congress for consensus over confrontation on presidential poll - Jun 14, 2012
- Congress leader denies contacting Kalam - Jun 15, 2012
- NDA decision unlikely before Saturday, cards close to chest - Jun 13, 2012
- Kalam should not contest presidential poll: Somnath - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, best man, candidature, congress leader, finance minister, former president, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, political parties, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, somnath chatterji, trinamool congress chief, trouble shooter, UPA