Mufti Sayeed accuses National Conference of ‘double standards’September 24th, 2011 - 8:45 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Sep 24 (IANS) In a broadside against the ruling National Conference (NC) in Jammu and Kashmir, main opposition People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has charged it with double standards, saying it was depriving panchayats of due power while asking for greater state autonomy.
Mufti Mohammad Sayeed, former chief minister and patron of the PDP, said Saturday, “It is a sheer case of double standards in politics.” He was addressing a public rally in the border town of Ranbirsingh Pora.
The National Conference is demanding the pre-1953 status for Jammu and Kashmire when all matters — except defence, communications and foreign affairs — were in the hands of the state.
“Interestingly, those advocating greater autonomy are themselves scared of giving powers to panchayats,” Sayeed remarked while accusing the National Conference of delaying the devolution of powers to rural local self governments.
He pointed out that the ruling party had conducted panchayat elections on a non-party basis just to encourage horse-trading of village council members. Elections were held early this year but the powers of panchayats are yet to be defined.
“The National Conference has never allowed democratic institutions to flourish in the state,” Mufti said and pointed to the inordinate delay in announcing elections to the local bodies that were due in January 2010.
“Delay in the announcement reflects the dictatorial mindset of the present regime,” he said and told the gathering that elections to local bodies were held in the state during PDP-Congress regime after a gap of more than 25 years.
Mufti warned the government against conducting these elections on a non-party basis, which is against the spirit of democracy. “In case the government takes a unilateral decision in this regard, the PDP will openly field its candidates,” he said.
- Mufti calls for regime change in Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 12, 2012
- Nomination process begins for Kashmir panchayat polls - Mar 23, 2011
- Committed to equal growth in all Kashmir regions: PDP - Nov 30, 2011
- Mufti Sayeed seeks civic polls in Kashmir - Dec 04, 2011
- PDP to boycott Kashmir panchayat polls (Lead) - Dec 05, 2010
- Mehbooba re-elected PDP president - Oct 31, 2011
- PDP government delivered better with only 16 legislators: Mehbooba - Dec 13, 2011
- Mufti lashes out at Omar government on development - Jul 03, 2011
- Mufti's call for government change in J&K; - May 26, 2012
- National Conference is party of the past, says PDP - May 24, 2011
- 'Self-rule can negate adverse effects of partition' - Jul 07, 2011
- PDP scripted new chapter in Kashmir's history: Mufti - Mar 25, 2012
- Omar has reduced AFSPA issue to gimmickry: Mufti - Nov 28, 2011
- PDP is party of Jammu too: Mufti - May 27, 2012
- Kashmiris feeling alienated under Omar: Mufti - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,