Mubarak’s information minister jailedSeptember 28th, 2011 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, Sep 28 (IANS/RIA Novosti) An Egyptian court Wednesday jailed for seven years the former information minister of the Hosni Mubarak government for corruption and misappropriation of public funds.
Anas al-Fiqqi’s conviction is the latest of former government functionaries. Those already convicted and sentenced include the former interior and tourism ministers.
Former state television chief Osama el-Sheikh was also sentenced Wednesday to five years in the same case as al-Fiqqi.
The two were found guilty of paying inflated prices for television soap operas.
Mubarak is himself on trial on charges of ordering the use of force against protesters during the 18-day uprising that toppled him in February. The former president is also being questioned over charges that he and his family made huge illegal sums of money during the three decades of his rule.
- Mubarak trial demanded by protest victims' kin - Jun 25, 2011
- Mubarak aide gets seven years in prison - May 28, 2012
- 'Mount indefinite protests over lenient Mubarak sentence' - Jun 03, 2012
- Mubarak's daughters-in-law banned from leaving Egypt - Jun 17, 2011
- Mubarak may be transferred to prison hospital - May 26, 2011
- Mubarak's trial to be held every day - Jan 03, 2012
- Egyptians want public trial for Mubarak - Apr 15, 2011
- Mubarak gets $339 as monthly allowance - Mar 29, 2011
- Egyptian prosecutors demand death for Mubarak - Jan 06, 2012
- Mubarak to be transferred to Cairo for trial - Aug 03, 2011
- Mubarak's wife detained in corruption probe - May 14, 2011
- Mubarak's ex-chief of staff to stand office abuse trial - Aug 18, 2011
- Egyptian prosecutors question Mubarak's sons - Apr 18, 2011
- Mubarak to apologise to Egyptian people: Paper - May 17, 2011
- Mubarak's supporters call for his release - Jun 12, 2012
Tags: cairo, conviction, corruption, egyptian court, el sheikh, former president, hosni mubarak, inflated prices, information minister, misappropriation, protesters, ria novosti, seven years, state television, sums of money, television soap operas, three decades, uprising, use of force, vm