Mubarak’s health deteriorates in prisonJune 6th, 2012 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, June 6 (IANS) The health of former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak severely deteriorated Wednesday, his fifth day in Cairo’s Torah prison, and he was put on the ventilator five times.
Citing the official news agency MENA, Xinhua said prison officials called a medical team specializing in cardiology to examine the 84-year-old Mubarak.
The doctors found him suffering from nervous shock, severe depression and high blood pressure, it said.
Mubarak was likely to be transferred to a military hospital.
Earlier, the AKI news agency reported that Mubarak has declined food and medicine since being taken to prison after a court sentenced him to life behind bars for his role in the death of protestors last year.
In prison, Mubarak’s mood has been bad “to the point of not even responding to those who greet him”, said the el-Fagr newspaper.
Ever since the trial began in August last year, Mubarak was detained in the International Medical Center, a facility run by the military near Cairo.
Mubarak and former security chief Habib al-Adly were both convicted for the killings of around 900 protestors. They received life sentences.
Mubarak was president for almost 30 years. He stepped down in February 2011 amid mass nationwide protests.
- Mubarak refuses food, medicine in prison - Jun 04, 2012
- Mubarak's health remains serious - Jun 08, 2012
- Hosni Mubarak facing stroke risk : official - Jun 10, 2012
- Hosni Mubarak's health is deteriorating - Jun 06, 2012
- Mubarak aide gets seven years in prison - May 28, 2012
- Mubarak found guilty of role in protesters' killings (Second Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Egypt's general prosecutor mulls shifting Mubarak to jail - Apr 21, 2011
- Ex-Egyptian president gets jail for life (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Mubarak's health stable after unconsciousness - May 28, 2011
- Mubarak in coma but not clinically dead (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Egypt's ousted leader Mubarak in 'very critical' condition, not dead - Jun 20, 2012
- Ex-premier, senior officials barred from leaving Egypt - Feb 13, 2011
- Egypt to announce Mubarak verdict June 2 - Feb 23, 2012
- Mubarak's wife detained in corruption probe - May 14, 2011
- Ex-Egyptian minister goes on trial for mass shootings - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: adly, egyptian president hosni mubarak, el fagr, fifth day, habib, high blood pressure, hosni mubarak, international medical center, life behind bars, life sentences, medical team, military hospital, nervous shock, official news, president hosni mubarak, prison officials, protestors, security chief, severe depression, xinhua